Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust Gurgling.

H

Hayles

Can someone please explain to me about my gurgling exhaust. I know there's probably a number factors contributing to it but if someone can just give me the basics.
I've got an 87 Vl Sl, its in ok cond, its got a 2 1/2 inch sports exhaust, cat is ok last time i checked, its got a 4 inch tip on it. The whole exhaust seems to be in pretty good nick and i got extractors put on about 4 months ago.
It has a really bad gurgling problem when i release the accelerator, so like when im just glidong downa hill you can hear me from miles away, its almost like backfiring.
My mechanic said something about the exhaust being too big, that it's just excess fuel burning off and there could be a problem with the fuel lines. The guy that fitted my extractors said that there was something that i can put just behind the tip of my exhaust that would help it a bit?
I honestly wouldnt have a clue, its starting to piss me off and its rather embarrising driving along sounding like your car is exploding.
Any insight would be appreciated.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Both people are right i believe.

get yourself a resonator (extractor dude is reffering to) which is like a little muffler just before the tip. get it tuned to sound how u like it, there are different models aval and they all have adv/disadvantages. I wrote a post a while back about this in more detail, check around the site.

Also a 4" tip is a bit big for the car, try 2.5" or 3" max.

Otherwise there maybe a problem with too much/not enough fuel getting to your inlets.

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
hi hayles, maniac is correct about the resonator that should do the trick,also sounds like it may be running a bit lean this can cause that sound when you are off the accelerator
cheers fergi

G

Grantis1976

Hayles, the gurgles sounds like a good thing in small amounts.
My wagon's rear muffler was rusting, so I cut it off, and welded on a length of 2 1/2 inch pipe to the tail to replace it. It sound ten times better, is in no way loud, and helped with the shove in-the-back!!! By the way, the rest of the system is stock!!!

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
i had a vl, and it gurgled also, the problem was the exhaust was to big, the problem is that the standard exhaust for the motor (no mod's made to motor) is about 2 1/4 inch, no bigger, any biggen that you loose all sorts of back presure and the motor starts to stumble, it wont burn all the fuel, and will do the "gurgle" the way i fixed it was like the other's said, i put a resinator on the end of the flamin thing, it toned the gurgle down heaps, but it didnt stop it, what i did then was put a peice of 2 inch pipe after the catty but before the muffler, this gave the back pressure needed, it improved fuel economy in a huge way. and stop the embarising gurgle it had. if you make mod's to the motor then the 2 1/2 exhause will be fine, but personaly, i wouldnt be going 3 inch, no back presure there at all, and it will realy cause problems.

the above worked for me.

cheers
garth

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
yeah probable want to get a resonator,
off the topic but is this illegal, to drill holes in the back of the muffler? normal VN muffler, with 5 about 8mm holes drilled around the back panel of it

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
Stewart1000 said:
yeah probable want to get a resonator,
off the topic but is this illegal, to drill holes in the back of the muffler? normal VN muffler, with 5 about 8mm holes drilled around the back panel of it

You want it to rust out quicker?

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
you say you have a gurgling problem? i have the same zorst set up as you but i have a 6" cannon at the back and i love the sound it makes when you take ur foot off the accelerator...its no problem i think its kool

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
A 6" cannon?

Dear lord no!

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
cannon,,, oh well everyones got diferent opinions, yeah a resonator will fixx the problem but i dont mind a nice little throaty gurgle when decelarating