Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust Help!!!

Crocodile

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE THUNDER COMMODORE UTE
please give advice to make L77 SS sound louder and have a bit more grunt to it!!!
atm im running a 2.5 inch xforce cat back exhaust 2 sets of mufflers rear and mid section..
preferably want a cheaper route... shout i just get the mufflers cut and welded ?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Remove the midsection or put hot dogs there will beef it up without adding too much unwanted frequencies.

Ensure you leave the rear mufflers as they are, deleting the rears will add a lot of drone.

Just note that xforce is the lowest of the low quality in terms of exhaust so it may never sound amazing, their mufflers are pretty junky and the pipe material is paper thin.

Crocodile

Reaction score
Members Ride
Remove the midsection or put hot dogs there will beef it up without adding too much unwanted frequencies.

Ensure you leave the rear mufflers as they are, deleting the rears will add a lot of drone.

Just note that xforce is the lowest of the low quality in terms of exhaust so it may never sound amazing, their mufflers are pretty junky and the pipe material is paper thin.
Will putting more high flow cats make it louder ?

Crocodile

Reaction score
Members Ride

I’ve looked around and people are saying that mid section delete will create a more raspy farting sound? Have you taken out your mid section muffler before on v8 ? Do u have a video of sound?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I’ve looked around and people are saying that mid section delete will create a more raspy farting sound? Have you taken out your mid section muffler before on v8 ? Do u have a video of sound?
I haven't had a VE V8 for years so no I don't sorry, I just do a lot of exhausts.

Anything you do to the existing xforce exhaust will make it louder, but louder doesn't always = better.

Removing the mid section will add rasp yes. But thats better than removing the rear section and getting drone. As others have said as well swapping from an X Pipe to a H pipe crossover will give you a better note too.

Also make sure your not misinterpreting my advice, when I say remove the mid section I'm not referring to your crossover pipe (which might be where your getting comments about rasp/fart online) I'm saying your mid mufflers if you have them. You need an exhaust cross over whether it's an X or a H otherwise it will sound like a turd.

If you want that really deep burble, you generally get that with a twin 3" on these engines not twin 2.5 But once again an Xforce exhaust I'd not even put on my lawnmower so your never going to get a quality sound from it, you can make it better but it's never going to be amazing.

If you want to stick with twin 2.5" and have a good overall note and also some volume go something like a Manta twin 2.5" exhuast or twin 3" exhaust with extractors and high flow cats.

If your running the stock cast iron manifolds that won't be helping your exhaust note either, a good set of extractors will bring out each exhaust pulse a lot cleaner.

Crocodile

Reaction score
Members Ride
I haven't had a VE V8 for years so no I don't sorry, I just do a lot of exhausts.

Anything you do to the existing xforce exhaust will make it louder, but louder doesn't always = better.

Removing the mid section will add rasp yes. But thats better than removing the rear section and getting drone. As others have said as well swapping from an X Pipe to a H pipe crossover will give you a better note too.

Also make sure your not misinterpreting my advice, when I say remove the mid section I'm not referring to your crossover pipe (which might be where your getting comments about rasp/fart online) I'm saying your mid mufflers if you have them. You need an exhaust cross over whether it's an X or a H otherwise it will sound like a turd.

If you want that really deep burble, you generally get that with a twin 3" on these engines not twin 2.5 But once again an Xforce exhaust I'd not even put on my lawnmower so your never going to get a quality sound from it, you can make it better but it's never going to be amazing.

If you want to stick with twin 2.5" and have a good overall note and also some volume go something like a Manta twin 2.5" exhuast or twin 3" exhaust with extractors and high flow cats.

If your running the stock cast iron manifolds that won't be helping your exhaust note either, a good set of extractors will bring out each exhaust pulse a lot cleaner.
Okay any good extractor recommendations for a L77 ute

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I like Pacemaker 4 into 1's the only problem is they hang quite low so ground clearance can be an issue.

If your worried about ground clearance etc then Pacemaker Tri Y's

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V

Gmm triple stepped headers.
They go from 1&3/4" to 1&7/8" to 2".

They're been pretty good for around 18 months so far.