Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust modification - XForce merge out, H-pipe in?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Hey,

I'm toying with the idea of getting my xforce system modified.

I want to have the merge cut out and replaced with either a H-pipe OR remove the merge all together.

The reason for this is I really like the sound of H-pipe systems and my mates Monaro which doesn't have a balance pipe at all. Very "classic muscle" type sound with a distinct "thud" from each pipe @ idle.

Thoughts? Cons? Pros?

Vr5speedv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr exec 5.0L 5speed
Go for it mate! I've changed my xforce twin 3" to a hpipe and it's a big improvement.

I didn't notice much difference in the low rpm's but once you get over about 3000 it's a very different sound.

Here's my car. Specs are: ceramic coated Pacemaker 1 3/4", ballistic cats, Xforce twin 3" with X pipe changed for a H pipe (1.5" diameter balance pipe)

YouTube - ‪Xforce twin 3" with H pipe‬‏

Only con would be is that it's a fair bit louder at full throttle and the stock xforce is loud as it is! Some say the hpipes aren't as good for power but I never noticed any loss, and the xforce x is pretty **** anyway.

Make sure you do a before and after vid if you do it ;)

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Hmmm... more "loudness" is something I am probably looking to avoid.

So @ idle and down low, you didn't notice a difference with it?

Vr5speedv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr exec 5.0L 5speed
Hmmm... more "loudness" is something I am probably looking to avoid.

So @ idle and down low, you didn't notice a difference with it?

I wouldn't be too worried about the extra loudness, it's not that significant. Driving around normally you won't notice any difference.
Can't say that I noticed much difference in the sound at idle(shoud've done a before and after:idea3:) but at low rpm cruising you notice more of a v8 thump to it. And when you really get stuck into to it you'll love it:rockon:

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
What sort of system? Sound difference?

As I've said, I am mainly chasing a specific sound rather than more power.

And I think the sound I'm after will be achieved with either a H or straight pipes.

Kiss and X pipes seem to smooth the sound from what I understand, as in there isn't so much of a distinct "thud" from each bank.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
take whatever merge is in it out and run it as full seperated duals then get your white crayon out and draw lines down the pipes after the collectors of the extractors hold revs at cruise revs on stands where the crayon melts off first is where the reflected sound wave pulses are smashing into the new pulses coming out the extractor cut holes for Hpipe here :D

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
I used to have straight pipes on mine - no merger to be seen. Sounded like a 5L at low rpms, it really had that v8 note all the time. Soop used to have a 2.5" twin xforce exhaust and he cut the X pipe out and he said that it gained some torque down low as well.