Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust Modification

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
I currently have a 2.5" Exhaust (from headers), and it mandrel bends from the Cat Back with a HSV Oval Tip. No rear Muffler. Went and saw my mate today down the exhaust joint, and he discovered my Catalytic Converter if FUBAR. He recommended a complete new system same dealio, but twin 3" Dump Pipes at the tip.

NOW..
  • Do I need to replace the WHOLE system which will be easier to add dumps at the end of the day.
  • If I don't need to replace the WHOLE system, just the cat, would it be easy to remove the oval tip and replace with twin dumps?
zorst.jpg

Cheers.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
I have no idea why he would tell you to replace the whole system just to replace the cat? The cat can be cut out and a new one welded in. Why would you want to dump it at the very rear. It wouldnt look all that good on a newer model like yours. Maybe dump it after your cat and muffler just before the diff. This should be cheaper as there is less pipe needed. I would go that way for sure. You would still need a false pipe to keep the cops off your back.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
I tend to like the look of dump pipes personally. Seen them on a couple of VR/S's, they don't look too bad (IMO). I'll be DEFINATELY looking at the dump pipe avenue though.

Going to see him tomorrow and see what he can do about just a cat.. Not knowing everything about exhausts myself, I just accepted it on the spot and thought it was truthful - thus my question here!

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
keeping it simple...

you have headers. they come together and go into a cat (which is likely a bolt in/bolt out piece....it is on the vn/vp's anyway)... then there's a pipe that goes into a muffler, and another pipe that goes into a resonator, and another pipe that comes out of the back?....

the only reason you'd chhange your whole exhaust is if it was all rusted out and crushed or something....

the tips are a piece of p*ss to do man...

get your cat replaced (if it really is stuffed)...

then get them to cut off your exhaust tip, and weld on another one?

too easy :)

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Yep.. Will be going to him today.. to be asking a little of WTF.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Ok.. Went and saw him.. he had a look INSIDE the converter.. it's fine :confused: however, I get dump pipes twin 3" for $120.. Dunno now.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
hmm sounds like this exhaust guy is just looking for some quick cash... sneeky

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Will see what happens.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I have a twin 2.5" dump tip on my VR, piece of piss to add on. As for the cat, no need to replace the whole system either un bolt the old one or cut it out, then replace it.
AirStrike :air: