Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust Rattle After Starting

cp993

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF SV6 Series ll
Hey guys,

Had an issue since taking delivery pf my sv6 about month ago. When i start the ar the right exhaust rattles and makes a vibrating noise. However it goes away after a little while and only seems to happen on really hot days. Told Holden on my one month service and they said its the heat shield and they fixed it but its still happening. Any ideas?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
We can't see or hear your car.
Ask Holden again or look and listen carefully when you start it next time...

Thof

JR Sen
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY13 VF SSV sedan - Phantom
Here you go CP, I'm full of good ideas, you could get a pair of car ramps and a stethoscope. Apply rear of vehicle to car ramps, warm vehicle up and when your underneath (safely) of said vehicle with your stethoscope being waved around to isolate closely where the racket is emanating from ( you may need another bod to give the throttle a blip). I've done similar using my wife's car ramps (I bought them for her birthday quite a few years ago) and been I've lucky enough to get a lot of value from them, gee she's kind... or you could of course get some feedback from some of the SME's on this forum, unlike me...

treesnake

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sv6 SII Sedan
Interesting how its the right side.
Is it at a certain RPM ? does it go away when your rev a little in neutral

I have had a similar problem and its caused by the engine vibrating at a certain frequency and it make the right rear exhaust vibrate more causing it to get quite loud. When the right muffler vibrates, it also caused the right drivers window to rattle. Only happens at idle to about 800 rpm range.