Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

exhaust system questions

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
re the standard VL 6 cyl exhaust system
my VL has what looks like the originel exhaust system or must it have been replaced?
it looks like none of it is stainless steel as a magnet sticks strongly everywhere, looks all like aluminium sprayed steel

is any of it stainless steel and roughly how long can the exhaust system be expected to last?

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
I would say up to 10 years, depending on where it is driven. ( If you live in an area of high precipitation then that will be reduced and also if you live on the coast )

I dont think that any of the exhaust would have been stainless steel, mild steel is alot cheaper to use.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
New exhausts are aluminised. This means that they have a very thin coating of aluminium to stop them going rusty, It's just for looks. An exhaust system can last anywhere from 12 months to 10 years. An aftermarket exhaust will never last as long as the original. The rear muffler is generally the 1st to go, expect that to go around the 2 year mark. The more you drive it the longer it will last. Stainless steel has a 10 year warranty so expect it to last at least that. With stainless systems, you have to make sure all your mounts are in good condition and replace them regularly as any tension on the mufflers will crack them. Stainless tends to be slightly louder than mild steel due to the harmonic characteristics of the metal.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
most factory stainless systems a magnet will stick too! they are a stainless steel blend last longer and look like stainless! the vl wouldn't have come out with a stainless system.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
I think the more the magnet sticks, the poorer the quality of the stainless steel is

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
I think the more the magnet sticks, the poorer the quality of the stainless steel is[/QUOTE

got it in one!
stainless steel is non-ferrous, ( non-magnetic alloys )
a real stainless steel exhaust system would cost an absolute fortune = several thousand dollars.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The term stainless steel in exhaust is just a marketing ploy. While they are stainless to a degree they only have just enough nickel content to stop corrosion under ordinary circumstances. They are not 100% stainless, and they will still rust, it just takes longer.

Gavin_LP

Reaction score
Website
forums.ignitioncarclub.com
Members Ride
Holden VL Commodore
What are the laws on the exhaust system, do you have to have a rear muffler? Are high-flow cats' legal?

I currently have a very dodgy exhaust system and am starting to think I should replace it?

But I want the flow to be even, not to much back pressure, but not to less.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Depends on the year of your VL, pre 86 I think you can do what you want as long as it isn't too loud. Post 86 you need the same configuration as factory, but only if you are pulled over and they look at it. 90% of people only have one muffler. Hi flow cats are legal, though unnecessary on a N/A 6 cyl, the standard cat is adequate. Lukey systems on the VL sound good without the rear resonator, part numbers are AL6 4063, and T4059. The tail pipe is the V8 one, still fits though.