Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust whistle when valve opens?

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Seems this was looked into by the National Transport Authority back in 2014 where they made recommendations to the states to supposedly address this. Guess either the recommendation didn’t go far enough or the states watered them down.

You’d think ADR would check sound levels throughout the rev range and with all combinations of valve settings be they bimodal, trimodal or whatever.

I really hate that new (particularly German) cars can bark and backfire so loudly when mashing the go pedal as they take off, it always makes me jump…

I really can’t understand how those manufacturers can get away with it (ok, i can imagine it’s a cheat like diesel gate) yet a nicely modded car that has a demonstrably better sounding and nowhere near as loud and penetrating a sound gets defected… Guess it’s good to be king :oops::p

[/URL]

[/URL]

They must've ,missed the memo when testing the C43 Mercs. My wife's C43 is hideously loud with the valves open (factory exhaust)

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I like the sound of quick Euros.

Good on them for getting those exhausts to market.

Another good feature of the Euro cars particularly BMW M variants is their transmission shifts. Not only do they shift gears at the right RPM in auto mode, but they also shift hard and instantaneously in sports manual/mode via paddle shift. The Dual Clutch trans in the M3/M4's which is an electronic shift manual trans with conventional gears, shift forks and synchro's are even better!

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I love my 4" Varex rear muffler.

Mine is set up on a momentary switch on the dash, the key fobs are problematic

Closed it is great for early morning starts and rolling into our street at night, even with 1 7/8 4:1 headers, 3" Y pipe to a 4" single with a 300mm long 4" resonator

Closed it is as quite as a stock VX SS, but open it sounds awesomeballs

The only issue is when closed it it does create a restriction, but, when it is closed it only for start up, or rolling around at low RPM

Great for rolling past, or into anywhere that a loud exhaust could cause a noise issue

Whilst not cheap, they are well worth the piece of mind

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
The Dual Clutch trans in the M3/M4's which is an electronic shift manual trans with conventional gears, shift forks and synchro's are even better
The latest M3//M4 have gone back to full autos. Modern ones are a far call from the slushomatics of old, and the write ups I've seen reckon they are pretty good, not really missing the DCT and making them even more smooth in city driving.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I love my 4" Varex rear muffler.

Mine is set up on a momentary switch on the dash, the key fobs are problematic

Closed it is great for early morning starts and rolling into our street at night, even with 1 7/8 4:1 headers, 3" Y pipe to a 4" single with a 300mm long 4" resonator

Closed it is as quite as a stock VX SS, but open it sounds awesomeballs

The only issue is when closed it it does create a restriction, but, when it is closed it only for start up, or rolling around at low RPM

Great for rolling past, or into anywhere that a loud exhaust could cause a noise issue

Whilst not cheap, they are well worth the piece of mind
I like mine too - twin 3" with the same momentary style switch.
I bit the bullet and got the smart control box which is linked to my car head unit so I can close the muffler to a %. 40% is the magic number when wife is driving or in the car. What I would love to do is spend some time going through the box and working out how to make a mechanical dial switch control how open or closed they are but I dont have the time I used to!

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The latest M3//M4 have gone back to full autos. Modern ones are a far call from the slushomatics of old, and the write ups I've seen reckon they are pretty good, not really missing the DCT and making them even more smooth in city driving.
Yes, they did the same with the M5 V8 and added 4-wheel drive. The F80/82 M3/M4 are bit rawer and muscular than the current G Series with the ugly grills!