Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

exploding air filter box

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
haha thats funny. my little bros ford is exactly the same as that one there, color and all. except his box is shattered into many pieces from lpg. we are dumping the car this week for a ford of the same model that is actually able to become roadworthy.
Thats what happens when you get someone to get u a first car without knowing how to check anything :/

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
ive seen somewhere someone had dual memcals with different tunes hooked up to their ecu activated by a switch.

what are peoples thoughts on this? could it be done properly with optimal lpg and optimal petrol tunes?

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
what system is installed on your car ? what spark plugs are you running and what gap ? Any vacum leaks from gaskets or seals can lean out the mixtures ? where was the system installed ?

vn_wagon90

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Wagon
Just a thought .. I have a NF fairlane and its on gas .. but because i change the plugs every 10.000 andi have proper leads on it .. It will only back fire if the motor is sucking air around the TB or any where in the inake system .. a blown intake gasket can cause it

I also have a friend who has a VN on gas and his only back fires if its sucking air between TB and air box ..

so maybe check all you intake piping and go from there .. also wise if you change your plugs every 10,000 and get MAX leads by top gun or something eqivalent :)
hope this helps :)

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
hi mate,
My mate had the same issue on Gas. He drilled two holes in the Airbox, plugged them snugly with a sink plug in each hole that was connected to a chain to stop them from going far when the car backfires.

He swore by it

holdensmychoice

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Berlina 5sp 3.8
exact same thign happened to my old VR, was dual fuel and ran it on gas 90% of the time and everytime u would put ur foot down hard to beat traffic or go up a steep hill it would blow a hole in the airbox and **** it totally or blow a hole in the actual pipe and it would need taping up to get it to run again. went through like 4 hoses and 2 air boxes

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
16yrs fitting LPG to many different cars using many different systems from positive to negative feed systems open loop to closed loop vapour liquid injection or mixer style they all have one thing in common the crap gas we use in them , second biggest problem is the install itself as not all fitters follow the directions from the suppliers or choose to make it up as they go along , sloppy wiring dodgy crimp terminals dodgy earths or poor earths , third problem is the base engine tune and condition of the engine , worn spark plugs split vacum hoses and gaskets , failing ignition systems from coils to coil packs poor leads , corroded terminals , worn throttle shafts , etc etc .