Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Extractors or high flow cats?

essveesux

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2004
Hey guys, i have searched this but nothing has really given me a direct answer to my question.

i just got a lukey 2.5" catback for my sv6 vz. Just trying to decide between high flow cats and extractors for a "gruntier" sound. I was told extractors would be my best bet. also told that extractors put out more performance than Hiflo's.

So just want to get more advice before i make a decision. Extractors for better sound or cats?

cheers!

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
from my knowledge.
extractors will potentially Deepen the sound. and can make it "gruntier" as you have wanted.
however the cats can also potentially change that sound aswell.

however its a VZ and am not too sure from my own experiences what Extractors do on an alloytec motor.

maybe pm NAAF about it. he should be able to answer it pretty well for you.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
extractors will give you way more gain than high flow cats... getting both is a good idea

essveesux

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2004
Yer i would get both but as i still have just under 2 years on my P's i dont want to spend too much money on this car. gona start saving for a turbo car some time soon.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
After hearing my dads ute, I wouldnt get hi-flow cats.
He has Lukey extractors, HI-flow cat and a 2.5' lukey catback. Sounds nice and deep but when you rev it, it starts to make a rasping noise... and sounds aweful IMO.
Hes now got a huge muffler on the back to clear a defect and still makes the rasping.
It really ruins the note of the car IMO.

Go for extractors mate, and do some intake mods and that'd make it sound even deeper.

essveesux

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2004
After hearing my dads ute, I wouldnt get hi-flow cats.
He has Lukey extractors, HI-flow cat and a 2.5' lukey catback. Sounds nice and deep but when you rev it, it starts to make a rasping noise... and sounds aweful IMO.
Hes now got a huge muffler on the back to clear a defect and still makes the rasping.
It really ruins the note of the car IMO.

Go for extractors mate, and do some intake mods and that'd make it sound even deeper.

thanks for the advice man, yer ill probs get some extractors and then do some DIY air intake mods, or something along those lines.