Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Factory Servicing

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
On another note, here is some stuff I found about diesel oil servicing.

https://www.maroochydore.kenmillsto...e-black-why-this-happens-after-a-service/554/

Now I get it can discolour but for new oil to look that black after 50ks or so is tuff to swallow.
The article does say

The high soot production, part of the everyday running of the car, takes care of the rest and within a few days that lovely new oil can look rather dirty.

But it isn't discriptive enough about how dirty it will actually look after just 50kms. More importantly the article doesn't elaborate on the reasons new oil gets so dirty so quickly.

I doubt it's caused just by new soot production from combustion after just 50kms. I suspect it's that old sooty diesel oil behaving like a dye and any that remains within the engine galeries and bearings, etc, will stains the new oil. Having said that, I don't remember my old turbo diesel being so black so quickly after an oil change :rolleyes: May be it's just a memory thing being that was 20 years or so ago but don't think so :oops:

It could be due to the fact some engines hold more old oil within, after being drained, simply due to their design. It also seems that some old oil can build up on the engines internals (not unlike pertol engine oil sludge) and that this oil can be held against the metal bits in a glue like way... Interestingly, back in the old days when i had an old diesel, some would swear that if you put (one brand of) flush in the new oil and flushed after 1/2 hour, you'd get more fluid out than was put in (considerably more in some cases).

May be the following videos highlight some aspects of this dirty oil after an oil change and the later one an oil flush process.

Me, i'd still have trust issues with a stealership bacause i've been burnt before. Having such black oil just 50km after an oil change in a new modern diesel that should produce much less soot than old 80's clattering diesels would thus have me pondering whether the oil was changed hjust as you are :confused:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
May be the following videos highlight some aspects of this dirty oil after an oil change and the later one an oil flush process.
At about the 5 minute point in the first video, he states that there could be a 'gallon' of residual oil left in the galleys.
A bit unlikely in a SUV engine :oops:

Anyhow, I am sure that @Fu will spend many happy hours and fun tickets trying to keep his engine clean.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The Yooropeens have gone away from diesels with some cities banning them including London. We are 10 years behind the world trend with vehicles.
Maybe but we went with diesel because the entire transport network, including trains needs diesel. Any transition away from that is decades away. No way can road trains run distances with electric motors.

A safe bet for the future.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
At about the 5 minute point in the first video, he states that there could be a 'gallon' of residual oil left in the galleys.
A bit unlikely in a SUV engine :oops:
I take that gallon of residual oil comment with a grain of salt given he’s likely talking about older bigger engined USA utes (which boarder on big trucks) while we talk of smaller engined family transport :p

What’s really interesting but not discussed is how much old sooty oil does it take to make new oil look really old, 100mls, 500mls, a litre or more?

For me what used to be annoying during service, after I always told them not to use any oil flush (or add petrol injector cleaner to the tank), was the additive “upsale” would,magically appear on the service receipt without them even calling me… And this was on new low km petrol engined vehicles which arguable don’t benefit from additives like older high km engines do …

And if a diesel engine has the oil looking like it wasn’t changed after a drain and fill, you’d think these dealers would see the benefit of pushing oil flush even more since it would have a visible effect (though that may not actually mean much from an oil life perspective other than it can avoid the “you didn’t change my oil” argument with their customer) :rolleyes:

Wonder if @Fu Manchu’s service receipt includes an oil flush additive :p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride