Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Faded trim UGLY

ROCKIN VR

Reaction score
ey people i got a vr acclaim, and the rubber trim around the rear side window that does not open ( i hope you's know what i mean ) are faded and look ugly, how would i go about tacking them off, to paint. also how how much trouble is it 2 remove the grey strip that goes all around the car.

thank's alot people :wave:

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
KE Laser Ghia 1.6 Carbie M5
I'm not sure on how to remove the rubber but I do know that the grey strip that goes around the car is simply glued on. One thing about the rubber is that I don't think paint sticks to it properly and when you flex the rubber to put it back on you might crack the paint to shithouse.

ROCKIN VR

Reaction score
thank's mate, but it's the hard bubber bit in like a triangle peice around that whole window i think it pop's off somehow, just cant work out how.? it look's really ugly all faded. :ranting:

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
Mate I work for EcoWash (mobile waterless carwash) and we were called to Alto Land Rover in Artarmon. The job - trying to make the plastics on one-two year old Land Rover Discoveries look new. We tried plastic polish and "bumper rejuvinator" but we only JUST darkened the plastics a little bit. I think it's pretty **** seeing a one-two year old car that was worth $50-60-70k brand new with the plastics faded to a colour that's only a little bit lighter than the Mercury Silver off of the BA Falcon and with some parts rougher than some types of f***in' sandpaper! I'm talking everything here... mudflaps, bumpers, side strips, wheel arch flares etc. I used to be a BIG Land Rover fan but not after seeing this... sorry I go on don't I.....

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
I used nugget boot polish on mine. Do it every day for a week, makes a huge difference.

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Well after looking at my car it depends how despirate you are to have them looking like new

I would be rubbing a VERY light sandpaper over them to get off any oils etc, i would mask up the surronding area and paint it with spray paint. I did this on my merc van (vito heap of ****) and it came up really good, but after about 3-4 years its starting to fade (it parks outside in the weather since i got the commodore :yeah: ) If you get the right paint and sealer it should work well. Remember to take your time sanding and masking.

*i didnt use sealer on the paint, advice from auto paints :b:

Spilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Torana said:
Mate I work for EcoWash (mobile waterless carwash) and we were called to Alto Land Rover in Artarmon. The job - trying to make the plastics on one-two year old Land Rover Discoveries look new. We tried plastic polish and "bumper rejuvinator" but we only JUST darkened the plastics a little bit. I think it's pretty **** seeing a one-two year old car that was worth $50-60-70k brand new with the plastics faded to a colour that's only a little bit lighter than the Mercury Silver off of the BA Falcon and with some parts rougher than some types of f***in' sandpaper! I'm talking everything here... mudflaps, bumpers, side strips, wheel arch flares etc. I used to be a BIG Land Rover fan but not after seeing this... sorry I go on don't I.....

The reason they fade so bad is coz there from England dude.... No sun ova there..hahahaha, when they bring em ova to Australia heaps of **** went wrong wid em.. like the glue in the roof lining dropping down due to heat etc..
I reckon the biggest Pimp car ya can drive is a new Range Rover running on chrome 20 inch + rims wid the windows all blacked out.. pure pimping... In saying that I'd probably never be able to afford one... $100k plus

Spilly

ROCKIN VR

Reaction score
thanks peopl, so there's no way off removing it ? it would be eaiser 2 paint or replace, if it's off. if not ill try that nugget stuff. the car's pretty neat, nice n shinny after a polish but that destroy's it. thank's

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
There are a few plugs that hold it on. If you're going to take it off, do it slowly, being careful not to break any of the plugs. I suggest a small flathead, working it up a bit at a time, but chances are it'll still break.

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
Hey Spilly have you noticed the ten year old Barinas and Calibras etc.? The solid paints on them (especially red and black) fade to bugger all...