Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fair price for a B & Egg roll?

Fair price for a bacon and egg roll?

• Total voters

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
So i'm thinking about quitting my job and setting up a small stall on the side of a busy road in the morning with a BBQ hot plate selling bacon and egg rolls. There's a guy who does pies to those heading north, so i figure i'd target traffic heading south instead. He seem's to do OK, but how many people feel like eating a pie at 6am?

I'm trying to work out what would be a fair price for a roll. I said to the missus $4, but she said that's too cheap and i should be charging more. I did pay $7 this morning, so maybe she's right and there's room for more. It's pretty important too though because even $1 in difference would mean $100 if i sold 100 rolls in the morning.

To be honest i'd rather charge a price that would have people stop most mornings, rather than only once or twice a week.

So, what would you pay to pick up a B & E roll in the morning (good one too) and if it was good, how many times a week do you think you would stop?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
gillard government will tax each roll $10, not worth it dude...

CapriciousWL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice
Consider that some servos sell dodgy food. There is also a plethora of "restaurants" on the Esplanade that many people will grab food at. McDonalds sell their muffins and the brand awareness is what helps.

It will take time to get set up with food regs etc. Let everyone know exactly where you setup so that when we're in town we can drop by.

Many of the similar ventures in Brisbane have vanished due to changing traffic flows. Consider doing a lunch run also, taking food to offices and construction sites. You could possibly combine the two concepts.

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
i'd pay 5 or 6 $$$ for a good b&e roll, and i'd stop every morning coz i get hungry in the mornings before work.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
To Be Honest Mate, This would be the worst time to think about starting a little store. My Father that owns a little coffee shop that sells papers, drinks, pies etc is doing it very very tough at the moment, he is in a extremely busy area and is only just breaking even each day to cover bills etc. just enough to survive. Because people are saving their $3-5 each day to help with their own bills.
To Answer $4 cause its the most i could afford maybe twice a week.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
There is way more to it than just pulling up in your car and starting to sell at the side of the road. I notice you are in Cairns. Here is a fact sheet just to have a food stall at a Market, I am quite sure the rules for a road side stall would be similar. Note they prohibit cooking of food, therefore bacon and eggs is out of the question as you can't prepare them elsewhere as eggs need to be served freshly cooked. They also say food must be prepared in a commercial kitchen.

http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/7275/MarketFoodStalls.pdf

Maybe the pie guy on the other side of the road has an established business and this is a sideline to that. He takes them warm and sells from a pie oven.

CapriciousWL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice
Checkout the food stall near the airport - it's a good location and has been there as long as I can remember. There will be ways of getting a portable commercial kitchen (hotdog van type thing) that you could possibly rent from sideshow type people. If you want to do it there will be a way.

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
id be happy with a fiver to grab one. servo here was doing them for $4 with 1 egg and 2 rashes of bacon and bbq sauce. only bad point was they were so popular that they couldnt cook them quick enough so the bacon was only warmed and not cooked. going with $5 makes giving change alot quicker and easier as its all notes then

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Good point toey. The other idea if you do get this off the ground is cans of drink too, or maybe a coffee?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Something to add to your poll. How many of you would stop to get a bacon and egg roll in traffic?

Personally, I dont trust side of road food plus in busy times it is too hard to pull over and rejoin the traffic flow. Easier to keep driving lol.