Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan/alternator belt keeps slipping off 304 v8 (VN)

seabs

Reaction score
Website
seabrook.homemail.com.au
Members Ride
Gen F R8 SV
Maybe they've supplied a different alternator, maybe somthing they had laying around the workshop and they just changed the pulley wheel on it. If its out of alignment, there is somthing wrong there. You either need a new proper fitting alternator or they have somhow butchered the alternators mounting brackets. At worst i would try another alternator, do you have a mate with the same car you can try.

yeah thats a possibility hey, mate used to have a 5L but he upgraded to vu ss, ex missus has a 5L but don't wanna go near her lol.

I might try get some serial / model numbers off the alternator thats in there and see if it is a correct fit for my car, or if they've dodgied it up like you said they might have.

seabs

Reaction score
Website
seabrook.homemail.com.au
Members Ride
Gen F R8 SV
Alternator should bolt in behind the bracket, you should be able to shim it back to get good alignment. Run a piece of string through the pulleys to help you line it up by eye.

fu<k yeah! i didn't think of shimming it that way, it only looks too far forward by maybe 2mm or so, but when revving hard.. that will most likely make a considerable difference.

cheers by the way!