Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan Belt not Turning

Aysh90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I own a vt and it has been running ok lately until I turned it on today and it was making a loud squeaking sound. I noticed the fan belt wasn't turning. My mate was driving it around the night before so I'm not sure what happened or if it could have over heated? :/ Does anybody have any idea what it could be? Fan belt was only put on last year...

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Seized pulley or water pump or maybe the belt has stretched too much and has no more adjustment left. Maybe the spring in the tensioner has broken.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
if its slipping it can be a few things :
#oil on it
#tension arm stuffed
#belt stretched
good mate to have , that's a few things to look out.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
Seized pulley or water pump or maybe the belt has stretched too much and has no more adjustment left. Maybe the spring in the tensioner has broken.

if it was seized it wouldn't be squirreling sound like slipping to me, and water pump needs pulley to spin the belt , just to show how never lend your car to ya mate , just what else did he get up to .

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
I'm going with a stretched belt or it's actually come off one of the pulleys, usually if one of the pulleys/idlers seize up and the belt still has good tension it will still turn and possibly burn a hole thru the belt then it will let go

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
My VT serpentine belt started screeching when the water pump seized and then the belt self destructed. One hour later, new water pump and belt fitted and off again.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Seized pulley. Take the belt off and see which one doesn't spin. The big one down the bottom is the harmonic balancer, it won't spin, but the rest will.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
arm...... , belt not turning , if it was one off those small pulleys it wont stop it from spinning around .

With the belt off check all pulley bearing for movement (play) , and water pump for collapsed bearing .
You should see your tension arm has a ware indicator , if one of those bearing collapsed the tension on the belt be no good.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Never loan your woman or your car to ANYONE. They never come back the same.