Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan Not Working VS

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Hey All
In the old mans vs, the fan no longer works, from off to hi, you get nothing... sometimes it does come on, he seems to think its when u give the engine a squirt, but i dont think so, it just comes on randomly
anyone got any ideas as to what could be wrong?
thanks all!

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
I would assume the blower fan itself.....more-so because it does come on sometimes. When the brushes wear out they can re-contact the armiture if they get jolted in anyway andd work for a while.

I would first check the main fan relay and the battery terminal wiring and fuse connections before going onto the fan speed switch and/or blower fan. Also check the earth connection at the blower fan wiring.

Is it climate control or standard?

Have you seen if you have both a power and an earth at the blower fan? Remove glovebox and black belly plate under the glovebox, you can then get easy access to the plug on the back of the blower fan.

Regards Guy

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
ok, i havent had a good look at it yet at all...
its standard (not climate control), but like u said, it does come on sometimes, othertimes not... usually though when it does come on, it stays on until the vehicle is turned off again, then thats when the problem starts
so u suggest checking the fuse, relay n battery terminal connections before i start moving any further?

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
By the sounds go straight to the blower fan wiring and check that first...

regards Guy

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
in a twist of events, it now happens when u turn the rear demister on, the fan turns off, n when the demister is turned off, the fan comes on again?
go figure!
i had a look at the wiring, it looked slightly dirty, gave it a clean, but the problems still there..
any ideas :)
cheers!

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Stll looking into this one....let you know when I find out....do the same if you find out first...

Regards Guy

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
haha will do mate, im still working on it!
im starting to think its a bad earth somewhere causing a short
ive cleaned the battery terminals, ive cleaned the earth near the negative terminal, ive cleaned the earth on the block, just above the heater hoses..
where abouts are the earths located underneath the dash or do u think im barking up the wrong tree?

mephisto

Reaction score
Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd jump on this one. I have a series 1 VN and my fan too has stopped working (completely, not just a few speeds).

Things I've looked at so far include fuses, wiring, relays and the actual switch itself (interchanged with another one). I had a look at the fan speed resistor and the thickest wire was burnt through so this was replaced. The damn thing still doesn't come on.

An interesting thing I've noted is that when flicking the switch between the 3rd and 4th speed (3rd being run through resistor, 4th not) is that the relay above the interior fuse panel makes a clicking sound.

My next step is to "borrow" another blower fan from the local wreckers for a few minutes and i should be able to plug it in just hanging loose to check if it is the actual fan. If anyone has ANY other suggestions please save me from eventually having to take my dash off. I'm pretty sure its the actual fan itself but anything that may help me diagnose it 100% I would be most greatfull for.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
its like the same as me bro
it comes n goes, but it also takes the rear demister with it too, which is really starting to **** me! ive spoken to a few auto elecs, n they all seem to think its a ground problem
a dirty earth somewhere... who knows, but yeah, its shitting me off no end!

mephisto

Reaction score
I have a couple of wiring diagrams, I might have a closer look at a few too cut down on diagnostic time, I supose replacing the fan wouldnt be that bad considering I sweat my arse off on the way to work on days like today.

I'm wondering if I could determine weather current was actually reaching the fan, I dont have a multimeter handy and probably wont have a day off in the close future again untill well... so looks like waiting untill I can get my hands on another fan to test with.

EDIT: Found one of those circut tester pens, the fan plug has power going to it on all fan speeds so I'm about 95% sure its that. I will still be checking it with a working one before I pull the dash off but I'm pretty certain.

Last edited: