Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan Question (Before I explode @ my mech)

mainpath

Reaction score
Website
www.applecollector.com
Members Ride
04 VZ Exec, HX Kingswood, VB Comm
Hey all,

I guess you've all seen my never ending saga over the last few days
with my annoying VT. So i'm sorry to post yet another question,
I need to know a simple answer as i've read to many opinions (though search function)

The fan on the drives side, does it turn on when the car turns on (straight away) or does it turn on
at a certain temp? On the supercharged 6.

My Current Situation:
Only at 104 degrees my Passenger side fan turns on cools the motor down and then the drivers side
fan turns on for 2 seconds then stops.

Thank You

PS: My mechanic is on the firing line!

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
HEY MATE.

With the cooling Fans, Only One fan spins i believe, When it reaches 104° the fan kicks in.
Now do a test. Go switch the aircon on and check the other fan to see if its running then.
Ones for aircon ones for the engine (I think) its been a while since i checked this out.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Fans wont run until the car hits temp.

With AC on, Drivers side will spin constantly, with AC off fans will kick in when the car hits temp.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
also check your relay is a 5 pin changeover type, cos its what makes the high and low speed for the fan change... if its not working correctly you will only have low speed.

mainpath

Reaction score
Website
www.applecollector.com
Members Ride
edals: With aircon on, passenger side fan is on, drivers side doesn't go on at any point.
If i have aircon off when the motor hits 104C it will turn itself on as well.

SabbathSS: thats what i thought, but yep as mentioned above, driver side will not spin. it will only for 2 seconds when the passenger side fan turns off automatically.

Boonz: You mean in the engine bay on the drivers side, yep it's a 5 pin, tried swapping it over with a 4 pin, same crap no fan movement.

It's an annoying problem isn't it ? :p also all pins are clean, i took them off one by one (relays that is)

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
swap it with another 5 pin relay... and try again, the high speed fan only comes on when it reaches about 109 degrees too, about the only time the passenger side fan spins

mainpath

Reaction score
Website
www.applecollector.com
Members Ride
swap it with another 5 pin relay... and try again, the high speed fan only comes on when it reaches about 109 degrees too, about the only time the passenger side fan spins

So your saying that when you turn the car on @ operating temp the drivers side fan does not spin, and unless the engine get to 109 thats the only real time when both are on?
hummm i need to get my self another 5 pin relay then to test.

edit: ignore what i just wrote, i just re-read it.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
the low speed fan comes on anytime the A/C is on, or when the temp gets to about 104, the high speed fan kicks in at 109-110ish, which will make both drivers side and passenger side fans spin at the same time