Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Faulty Head Light Switch????

dukeofearl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 09 Omega
RACV had to help me out by giving me a jump start due to a flat battery in my VE Omega. When i was asked what likely caused the problem, i told him that the car was turned off with the headlight switch/dial set to the Auto position. Cannot leave dial on off as it is spring loaded and returns to the Auto position.

RACV dude said that you shouldn't trust the Auto position, and that some have been known to be faulty. Can any of my new Commodore friends concur with this? Would be helpful to have some ammo to take with me if/when i take the problem back to the dealer.

Many thanks for this site.

Hektic

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV Ignition Orange
thats never hapend to me, you can leave it on parkers and when you open the driver side door within a few seconds theyll turn off, and wont come back on till you put the key in the ignition on or if you physicly swicth it.

Rev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Wagon Manual
Just take it to a dealership, There are a bucket load of known faults with early VE with flat battery issues and i can assure you that the "auto" position isn't one.

First your interior lights etc weren't left on?, Also make sure all aftermarket electronics (if fitted) are not causing the car to go flat

Just to name a few issues:
Water entry into rear door looms via connector seal at bottom of b-pillars, BCM software (including alternator charging control monitoring system), Instrument software, HVAC software.

What may have happened is your BCM may have failed to allow the CAN-BUS system to go to 'sleep'.

Another thing is if you still have the original battery in it, or it is a CALCIUM battery, i recommend replacing it with a good quality lead acid maintenance free battery as it'll be a lot more reliable than the calcium. when a calcium battery gets half tired it just crashes and burns (goes flat) real quick.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
That spring loaded switch that defaults to the "Auto" position shits me. You should have the option of leaving the switch in either auto or manual mode - as per my old VY SS.

Why can't I just use my headlights the old school way and decide when I want to switch them on? Grrr... /rant