Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

federal government to fund ford development?

NHS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
TheForgotten said:
I agree that the gov needs to assist in employment, and this alone is a good idea, but 52mil can provide a shitload more than 273jobs.

and why won't they strike up a similar deal with holden? it's not like they don't need extra assistance, considering the VE is sourced from overseas and bolted together here

I give up. this country is going to the dogs

Both Holden and Toyota have received similar assistance from the government already.

This investment in Ford not only adds 273 new jobs (on top of their existing workforce) but it also so secures Ford’s place in Australia for the next 10 years.

Would you rather see these jobs go to China or Korea?

Some very unfair posts in this thread

Kickars2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
ford suck.
and johny is a loser.
what pull throughs

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Propane said:
Would you rather see these jobs go to China or Korea?

Some very unfair posts in this thread

Fair enough the jobs can go to Aussies instead of another country, my point is the money should be going to Holden who are already starting to use other countries to build components instead of Ford who as far as I know are still using mostly local content, this can bring the jobs taken away from Australians back to Australians (Holden laid of a lot of people recently).. Holden is more of an Australian company than Ford, and they're pretty Iconic which is why I don't understand the gov'ts thinking by giving the money to Ford..

But who knows, Ford could have already decided there's no future in Australia with large V8s and RWD cars and were contemplating changing things, and this is to stop them.. Or is this just a thing for the gov't to get massive discounts on fleet cars?

Kickars2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
273 jobs wow.
52.5 million dollars for 273 jobs wow watchout that will drop the unemployment rate. losers

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Kickars2 said:
273 jobs wow.
52.5 million dollars for 273 jobs wow watchout that will drop the unemployment rate. losers

273 extra jobs, on top of keeping the 5500 jobs that are already there. Plus the contractors that Ford uses (these are perminant people that work at there). Plus keeping Australian suppliers in business, they do use alot of Australian content in their cars.

The run on effect of Ford stopping production in this country is huge. If you reckon Holden would stay in this country if Ford stopped building cars, than your very delusional.

Daza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Bring back the button plan! Stuff the free trade agreements!
We need Industrial diversity in this country. Ford have been using a lot more imported components lately as well as Holden. Does any one know the Aussie content on these cars? I would be surprised if they were over 80% now.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Daza said:
Bring back the button plan! Stuff the free trade agreements!
We need Industrial diversity in this country. Ford have been using a lot more imported components lately as well as Holden. Does any one know the Aussie content on these cars? I would be surprised if they were over 80% now.

Both cars have more than 50% aussie content but it's very close to the 50% mark now.

Kenster84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Kickars2 said:
ford suck.
and johny is a loser.
what pull throughs
:unsure: could say about your VX commodore electric fault not to mention Ecotec engine.

But this isnt about which car is better and etc its more that people are able to keep they jobs and a few open for people which is a good thing

gumbs

Spoon?
Reaction score
Members Ride
Jap Crap dreaming of an LS1
Kickars2 said:
273 jobs wow.

Ok so its going to make another 273 jobs imediately. Now 52 500 000/ 273 = 192 307. The average dole payment after rent assistance and all that is around what 20K per year. 192 307/ 20 000 =9.6 So provided ford keeps these jobs open for atleast 10 years at the very worst the government will break even.

Not counting the extra money that would be brought into the economy by exporting the territory/falcon.

Now I'm by no means a genius when it comes to economics but I can garunte the guy that signed off this decision sure as hell is.