Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Female Wants A Job In The Automotive Industry

Brin

GOT MANG?
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Something fully mangin'
dont listen to em darlin. look i got a female mechanic next door shes been working on cars bout half as long as i have and knows a shitload more. if you wanna do it go for it but now is the time and dont just do it on the computer get out get the point across look em straight in the eyue and tell them you wanna do it. how far are you willing to travel? i tried for 2 year before i got an apprenticeship then i got skipped from one mech to the next the last one threw ratchet bits, spanners, bottles of oil, brake pads all that type of **** at me and that was just coz i drained the trans oil before the engine oil when he told me to do the engine oil before the trans oil (he was messed up) and yea im 19 i know exactly how bad it is for someone your age to get a job atm especially an apprenticeship.

I still know a few people in lower east sydney if you want check your pm's and i have a proposal for you to think about.

never EVER give up

Thanks bud, PM me.

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
and it seems they didn't want to keep on a little lady who takes her sick leave to work on her car.

Sab

So they shouldn't. Sick leave is a privilege. Why should they pay you to work on your car?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
So they shouldn't. Sick leave is a privilege. Why should they pay you to work on your car?

pffft.. as if you have never taken a day off to do something else, other than lay in bed sick..

VT SERIES II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Hey guys, and sparing amounts of ladies,

Okay heres the go.

I finished my HSC in 2007, wanted to do something related to cars but Mom swayed me away from doing so. (Should not have let her, it is her own personal reasons - my father was a "grease monkey" too)

Through 2008 I completed a Business Admin Traineeship in Cert 3 at Blacktown Council. My contract with them ceased, and it seems they didn't want to keep on a little lady who takes her sick leave and annual leave to work on her car.

I can admit modestly, that I am quite good at the clerical skills involved with the course I undertook, and through my work at Council. If I continue with administration/secretarial work I could end up doing PA work and earning a sh!tload. The only thing though, is I am not passionate about clerical work. It does not challenge me, and I was teaching the 30 something year old "qualified" clerks how to do stuff.

I would really love a job in the automotive industry, whether it be secretarial or not, but I would really love to be hands on. I have applied for a few apprenticeships, but to no avail.

I then have to weigh up if I want to do 4 years at TAFE on a crappy wage to become a sparky, which means the last year and my cert 3 in admin has been a total waste of time.

How can I convince an employer that I am not a prissy little stuck up b!tch, how can I get into the industry without being laughed at, better yet, what if I was to complete a mechanic apprenticeship and then not be able to find work in that field?

Business Admin sucks. I wanna do something I love. I wanna work on cars. Help me out guys....................

Sab

First off I think its great that you have an interest in cars and mechanics. Its actually not that rare to have female machanics- I know a rather good one!
I had the same dilemma- I chose the money Im afraid..for my own personal interests I was going to do a machanics course but working takes up most of my time. Im lucky enough to not absolutley hate what Im doing now...

I feel that little bit better about it when I am earning twice the money I would have been

Do what you feel is right for you::thumbsup:

shanecam81

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina
best thing about being a parts interpreter is most of the time you stay fairly clean and you can go home and spend time working on your car without hating it. also on days like today you can spend most of the day in aircon :p while the techs are in the nice warm workshop...........

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
pffft.. as if you have never taken a day off to do something else, other than lay in bed sick..

So if people are honest they must be lying?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
So if people are honest they must be lying?

thats a contridiction in itself..

be realistic.. think back to when you were younger....

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
I'm thinking back but not sure why.

My employers have been good to me, so I'm good to them (i.e. not ripping them off).

Fancy that.