Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Few questions engine and gearbox service

sebbas103

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE
Hey guys
So I'm planning to do a full service on my June /07 3.6L VE OMEGA 4speed auto

My questions are:
Are these the correct ryco filter numbers?

Oil: r2605P
Air:A1557
Fuel: VE's don't have changeable fuel filters
Trans: RTK4 will just buy kit
There was also a cabin filter listed should I replace this and is it an easy job to do?

What grade engine oil do people suggest (car has 211,500kms on it) and also how many litres it takes?
Where is oil filter located? (Should be easy enough to find just haven't had a look yet) only bought the car on 30/1/15

DEXTRON 6 for the trans and how many litres it takes? Also is there any easy way to get all the oil out of the converter and piping?

What coolant to use?
I've heard there is a drain plug for the coolant? If so where is it located? And does it get all the coolant out unlike the vy where there is still heaps in the block? And no need to bleed the ve as the filler cap is the highest point?

I think that's all I want to know haha
Thanks in advance

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Hey I live right near thornton....

Mine has 230,000 klms on it is an omega 4 speed auto also. Great car I have debadged mine and fitted a twin exhaust and sv6 rims + tints verry happy how it turned out as I bought it as an ex cop car with chaser rims

Oil filter is R2605P that is correct
Air I cant help you with at the moment I replaced mine with a K&N filter it will last the rest of the life of the car and they are under $100 I would recommend getting one since the genuine ones are nearly as expensive and you don;t have the same service life.
Fuel - correct apparently ve doesnt have a changeable fuel filter mines dual fuel so I have an lpg filter
Trans not to sure kits would be on ebay I took mine to maitland automatics they changed the fluid for me and serviced the box I usually do it myself on the garage floor but I couldnt be bothered and they were less than $300 seemed to do an ok job.
Whats the cabin filter is that an A/C filter?

I religiously have been using Nulon oil in my previous vx and ve I can't fault the stuff have used just about every brand of oil and everyone will have their own opinions on oil but hands down for me its Nulon. I run 10W40W Full Synthetic car has no oil leaks and over 10,000klms doesnt burn any oil and its always clean. They take 6.5 litres approx *****READ MANUAL AS THERE ARE VARYING AMOUNTS BETWEEN THE MODELS IT DEPENDS ON THE BUILD DATE i THINK****** Oil gilter location look at your motor then to the righ you will see a round alloy housing with a big bolt on it it will also have a torque reading on it 24 I think. Good luck I have not undone mine yet as the idiot before me his mechanic way overtightened it and I just know its gonna shatter on me.

( I won;t comment on the auto as I dont have my book handy but it depends also if you just remove the rear pan or drain the torque converter also.

I would use the red Nulon Coolant I have not drained mine yet but I hope it does have a drain plug if not just remove bottom radiator hose and flush it out with a hose through the top. Correct yu dont have to bleed it ( OH YEAH ITS ABOUT TIME HOLDEN )

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Forgot to mention to if you ever have any probs I have a scantool thing so If you ever want any codes check just hit me up would be more than happy to help you out.

sebbas103

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE
Thanks heaps mate great help tonight about the 3rd post of mine you have commented on haha

Yeah I'm in Bero actually don't know why it said Thornton haha maybe old address? Don't know but yeah that would be awesome hopefully I don't run into many problems tho
Yeah I'm not sure yet if I'm going to get the filters and oil from work or from an auto store depends what work have in stock and the price haha
Once again thanks heaps

kwaka738

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09 Berlina Sportwagon
Oil: R2605P Correct
Air:A1557 Correct

My oil capacity is around 7.2 litres will an oil filter change so long as you have a couple of 5 litre containers you will be right. I use Penrite HPR5.

You will need a 24mm socket to removed the oil filter housing (it is a cartridge not a spin on type). I however bought a single hex 15/16" AF socket as it is a snugger fit than the 24mm socket. I got a single hex socket instead of using the more common double hex as single hex puts less pressure in the corners of the nut and more pressure on the sides of the nut so over time should do less damage especially if the oil filter housing has been over tightened.

sebbas103

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE
Replaced gearbox filter and oil as the oil in there was brown

Engine oil and filter that was dark brown

Air filter that was also dark brown haha

And will tackle the coolant tomorrow as it started getting dark/ raining so yeah gave up for the night