Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Few questions.

Bobski

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Exec
Righteo... A while ago I was being a dick a put some cut springs in for a day. While being a fully sick wanker I backed the car up at maccas and the exhaust hit the gutter. Which broke it from a clamp and let it rattle around and ****. Since then though its been replaced and it's movement is back to normal. But also since then, everytime I boot it off the line, there is a rattling noise and it shits me.

When I get under the car the only thing I can see which would make the noise is the Handbrake cable. But why would that move when I take off?

Another thing is I plan on lowering the car again. I have done some measurements and such for legality purposes. Basically when the extractors come into the muffler, that sits at 120mm.. which is far to low considering the side of the body sits at about 210mm. I want to lower the car to about 120mm if not lower, which leaves about 20 mm play with that muffler.. and also leaves it illegally low. Where that first muffler sits, it's a low point of the car and about 300 - 400mm over to the left, i could raise it up a good 80 - 100mm. Does it sound necessary if I was to weld a bit of pipe on to the extractors where they go into the muffler, bend it around to the higher point and then continue to the cat from there?

Another thing is there is a massive dint in the catalytic converter. Would that affect anything? I've uploaded some pictures. Any help is appreciated. I've got custom springs (by custom I mean custom made.. not cut) and wouldn't mind slamming the fugg outta her. But don't wanna be rooting the exhaust over every slight bump in the road in the process.

Pictures!
BODY HEIGHT

KNOCKING NOISE?

KNOCKING NOISE?

MUFFLER HEIGHT

OUCH

Any help/thoughts of course.. greatly appreciated.

holdencple

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS 5.7L LS1
is that your cat thats dented or the rear muffler?
a rattle can be from the cat if its worn and starting to fall apart on the inside(or from a hard knock),will break up and rattle as it gets blown out the back of your exhaust.
could be the same thing with the muffler some loose stuff rattling around im guessing...?
i dont think it would be your hand break cable.
another thing maybe try an octane booster next time you fill up mite need a boost to stop engine pinging.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
That looks like the muffler with the big dent,not the catalytic converter.Its probably something inside it rattling.

Bobski

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Exec
Nah its the cat. The rear muffler has a small dent in it but its nothing major. But I have tried all different kinds of petrol etc. Even put half a Litre of racing petrol in once lol.

So you think it could be from inside the cat? I'll have it up on a hoist this weekend so will take a look at it properly then. Cheers.

Bobski

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Exec
eh. I just assumed the extractors go into a muffler, then to the cat, then to another muffler. Cause that's in the middle of the two.. well yeah

holdencple

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS 5.7L LS1
it is your muffler then, extractors go into the cats then to centre muffler then to rear muffler.
i would be thinking its just some loose sh@t in your muffler rattling around then if its not the fuel.
should be able to get a cat back 2.5" exhaust fitted for around $250 - $300 that will include new mefflers.

Bobski

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Exec
ah alright then. I was talking to somebody last night who makes exhausts. Thinking about a custom exhaust system, so I might just go brand new from extractors all the way down to the tip.

Thanks for that. ;)