Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Few questions

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
1: How do i get the front pillar off above the drivers door does it just pop out. I wanna feed a phone charger cord up to my phone on the window mount

2: where to get best double side tape that will hold the doors trolley guard back on?

3: if changed all 3 mounts, engine and trans and theres still a vibration what could it be? VY fault list says exhaust might need a spacer? But mines a july 2004 (the final build)

4: whats the quickest way to get the pcv valve out

5: how to stop front brake squeel

6: is there anywhere or way to add a 2nd usb port

7: using 12 litres fuel per 100kms what would u buy first a new fuel pump, new oxygen sensors or new injectors

8: when car heats up should both radiator fans be coming on because on the passenger side fan kicks in

9: i rounded the tiny nut that holds the exhaust outlet pipe in on back of throttle body, how can i crack it. I think its now a 9mm

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
2: where to get best double side tape that will hold the doors trolley guard back on?

I bought mine from Home Hardware. Not sure if all stores carry it but I would assume most of the bigger stores would.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The only way to get the PCV valve out is to lift the plenum off the LIM.

Exhausts don't cause vibrations, just transmit vibration and cause noise. I'd put my money on the balancer been worn out, IMHO the OEM balancer is a POS. Other culprits could be converter or flex plate and even transmission issues but I'd consider the balancer first, especially if the vibs are more noticeable at idle and 1600-1800rpm.

Both thermofans should not be coming on, the 2nd high speed thermofan should only come on when it's seriously hot, from memory it comes on at 110 or 112° C so something is not quiet right there me thinks. I'd start with fitting a new thermostat, also put the dash into diagnostic mode and see what the actual engine temps are.

Is that 12/100 the average? If so, depending on your average speed it may be normal. I'd start with full general servicing (including plugs and leads), run some injector cleaner, clean the MAF and the TB. If it has high mileage than O2 sensors would be my next avenue once all the basics are covered.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
The only way to get the PCV valve out is to lift the plenum off the LIM.

haha true. i mean is there a quick way without taking off TB and unplugging injectors. Theres those 4 upside down nuts that hold down the fuel rail. obviously theres thos bolts inside the plenum lid that gotta come out

Exhausts don't cause vibrations, just transmit vibration and cause noise. I'd put my money on the balancer been worn out, IMHO the OEM balancer is a POS. Other culprits could be converter or flex plate and even transmission issues but I'd consider the balancer first, especially if the vibs are more noticeable at idle and 1600-1800rpm.

the balancer looks intact still? no holes in the rubber surface. vibrations super noticeable when reversing and when car is cold. HB are $400 is there a sure way to know its stuffed

Both thermofans should not be coming on, the 2nd high speed thermofan should only come on when it's seriously hot, from memory it comes on at 110 or 112° C so something is not quiet right there me thinks. I'd start with fitting a new thermostat, also put the dash into diagnostic mode and see what the actual engine temps are.

just the drivers side smaller fan doesnt come on, and thats just from watching it idle for 2 minutes. so by the way you described it all sounds well? im yet to see the car heat up past the first bar on the dash

Is that 12/100 the average? If so, depending on your average speed it may be normal. I'd start with full general servicing (including plugs and leads), run some injector cleaner, clean the MAF and the TB. If it has high mileage than O2 sensors would be my next avenue once all the basics are covered.

ive been using 91 fuel cos of petrol prices and it went up to 13.4L but put injector cleaner in and went back down to 12.6L. Would prefer to see it around 11L on city driving

Anywhere that bosch O2 sensors can be found at a nice price?

thanks for reply immortality

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try Car Parts Plus in Lonsdale for your O2 sensors

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There is no simple way that I know off. I have Lifted the plenum off without disconnecting the fuel lines but still lifted the injectors out of the LIM. Fairly do-able if you have a 2nd pair off hands to assist.

Temps sound normal then, possibly it has a 82° thermostat fitted if the needle is hovering on the first mark. The low speed fan will generally be on when stationary or moving slowly as it is controlled by the PCM and used to cool the condenser for the AC.

You can find genuine Delphi/Bosch O2 sensors on ebay, the last set I got were about $100 I think for a pair (but that was a couple of years ago). Don't get generic ones.

I ended up modifying the PCV system on our L67 VX, I was loosing well over a litre of oil between oil changes and found a lot of it in the LIM, I modified the system with the Elite Engineering catch can and Clean Air seperator and oil consumption has reduced to almost zero and most of that I find in the catch can now. A worth while mod in my opinion.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Need to be careful with eBay sellers and O2 sensors. A number of sellers say the sensors are the same for VP - VR. They also say VR ones fit VS, VT - VY. Where as the plugs are different on most models. You can get some without the plug but then you have to splice in. Car Parts Plus are great on price and will sell you one that is plug and play.