Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fibreglass bonnet and Walky scoop

metester

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Clubsport R8
Has anybody got any experience/opinions about this bonnet/scoop combo? I am thinking of having the fibreglass version painted in Nickel Silver to match my Clubby. Are there pitfalls in using or finishing fibreglass?

Cheers

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
with fiberglass its not pitfalls you have to worry about, its pinholes.... that, horrible fit, and more waves than bondi beach. make sure who ever is going to paint your bonnet inspects it first. the body work to get it right might cost more than the bonnet is worth... it all depends how good its made. when people say the word "fiberglass" around me i tell them to clean up their language. its a dirty word to me...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
My bonnet is fiberglass was fitted to the car by the previous owner, I'd just be pedantic about the bonnet tbh. Most don't even realise it is.

attachment.php

metester

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Clubsport R8
That looks very nice and is why I am very tempted. My fear is that in an accident it will be very obvious and insurance could be an issue. It does look good though!! ;)

nyteshyft

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Series II Commodore Sportswagon
Fibreglass is a nightmare. It expands and contracts with the weather, which isn't good for the paint. It also fades quite differently than plastic and metal, but not really enough for an untrained eye to notice. Hi-ryder is right also about the pinholes and ripples, fibreglass is notorious for it. If you put any bog on it anywhere to fix ripples or dints then I can guarantee that within a year shrinkage and/or cracking would have occurred due to the constant expanding and contracting of the fibreglass itself.

I'd scour eBay, gumtree, trading post, wreckers, for a second hand one or an aftermarket one that isn't fibreglass. You get what you pay for unfortunately. Although, there'd be less work in a second hand bonnet with dints as opposed to what you've got. Unless of course the "dints" are a result of a hail storm, lol.

metester

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Clubsport R8
Sounds like a bad idea. Nothing worse than a job that goes wrong on a car. It would drive me nuts. Given how much it would cost to get it done properly I think I would rather spend the money on performance improvements, better rims or similar. Thanks for the tips!