Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fibreglass monaro bonnets

dagsy

Reaction score
Looking at getting one of those fibreglass vz monaro bonnets for the vt. has anyone had any dramas with them? who is a reputable supplier? they all seem to be around the 600-700 mark.
would love a real one but haven't got that kind of doe.

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
how do they void insurance?

Toms 50th Ani

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L VT executive 50th Aniversary
Fibre Glass doesn't crumple and bend like sheet metal does so incase of a head-on accident or anything involving the bonnet, you'll more likely have the bonnet snap and sheer someones (or your own) head off.

Thats what I heard about fibre glass bonnets anyway..

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
I agree Tom; from what I have hear on other Commodore forums that I'm on is that fiberglass bonnets DO NOT have a "crumple" zone like steel bonnets. As you have said about fiberglass, they just snap and create jagged edges with the capability of taking life. This is the main drawback for me getting a fiberglass Monaro bonnet.

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
Some bonnets are ADR approved, if thats the case they are covered, or so I'm led to believe....

Before buying one, ask your insurer, and make sure with the supplier that they are ADR compliant, and what relevant ADR's it complies with.

For your own piece of mind, and knowledge of the build quality, hold out and save a bit more for a steel one. I've seen the steel ones going for $900... Not really much more.

aokman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais Super6
Very stupid if you get one of those bonnets, you void your insurance, and if you have a head on you put people at risk and you would do alot more damage to the car as the bonnet wouldn't be absorbing the crash energy.

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
yeh that all makes sense if i get 1 ill be going a proper 1 then as my daughter is in the car with me alot and i want the best for her