Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

filled up at BP now running crap

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Actually, normally when running 98RON fuel the ECU advances the timing a little bit, and you do get a bit of a boost in power. Upon switching back to the 91RON fuel, and while the computer is still running the advanced timing, you end up with more power again for some reason. Over time though the computer eases the timing back to where it was.

Don't get me wrong it does clean things out, but the advance in timing has a fair bit to do with it too.
Ah so that's what it was:). Good idea once a month:) When it's cheap.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The VN ecu doesn't advance the timing for 98 octane it's set what it's set on an that's it. The guy said hes had the car 6 years but just got it registered, the tanks probably sludged out or a few drops of water in it. I reckon replace the fuel filter for a start

dinodog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 SS
hi there i was told in another thread to take battery and eng fuse out when changing over fuels, i did this when going from bp91 too bp98 . it did play around a bit till computer reset itself but after that she run sweeter than a pitbull on heat!! but also dont use shell fuel so ive read on these threads.

richie_cky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Model
So...which companies make bad fuel? And which make good fuel?
I though Shell and BP would be pretty good...?

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Still Shell, BP, Caltex, Mobil and Ampol are the way to go, they are big companies and I doubt they will make bad fuel. Ill be watching for the little stations out there.

I recommend BP Ultimate and Mobil Snergy, I reckon there better then Vortex 98 and Optimax.

For 91RON, doesnt really matter whether its Shell, BP, etc.

S

Shanoqueeb

u might have got some bad fuel or they added some ethanol to the petrol.

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
hi there i was told in another thread to take battery and eng fuse out when changing over fuels, i did this when going from bp91 too bp98 . it did play around a bit till computer reset itself but after that she run sweeter than a pitbull on heat!! but also dont use shell fuel so ive read on these threads.

Can anybody confirm having to do this, Or needing to do them both?

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
The VN ecu doesn't advance the timing for 98 octane it's set what it's set on an that's it. The guy said hes had the car 6 years but just got it registered, the tanks probably sludged out or a few drops of water in it. I reckon replace the fuel filter for a start

Oh...okay. Cheers Foamy, live and learn. :thumbsup:

And yeah, since the car has been sitting for 6 years, the tank probably should be cleaned.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
my cars done this as well! i dunno what been going on but i was driving along and all of a sudden it was firing like it was out of petrol! its sounding like a sigma and has no power AT ALL but hasnt stalled on me, i usually use regualar unleaded from both bp and shell but im thinking that ive use a bad batch maybe