Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

filling in the side seams on my VS ?

R3D_D3AD

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS, S, 3.8 Ute
has anyone filled in the side seams on a VS? I'm sure I've read in here some time ago but just can't find any info now.

I'm gonna be painting my VS ute soon and want the sides to be flat, so was thinking maybe I'll fill them in with bog or fiberglass?
Does anyone have any pics of a VS ute or even sedan/wagon that's had this done?

cheers for all and any info :D

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi, im a qualified spraypainter/panel beater so thought i would give you a few tips ;-) If you fill them with regular bog it will crack after time, ive smoothed heaps of cars in the past and i always use fiber reinforced bodyfiller aka fiberglass filler for the 1st skim to build up the recess to the same level as the rest of the panel then for the final skim use fine filler or regular bog. The only issue you will have is where the door meets the front guard once smoothed the very front edge of the door where the recess was will catch on the bit you have smoothed on the guard. So the very end part of the recess on the door and start of the recess on the guard needs to angle in slightly to clear each other ;-)
Unfortunately i dont have any photos of the ones i have done in the past but hope this helps.

R3D_D3AD

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS, S, 3.8 Ute
good info cheers mate, so you do the front bumper too or just the sides? I think I'm gonna leave the tailgate as stock too because under the seam is almost an inch raised above the rest of the panel

keep the ideas coming guys :D

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
id do it the same way door handles are shaved weld a bit of steel in there, smooth out welds, lay bog over joins, sand, metal condition it and paint away

like previously said bog is just gonna crack and flake and turn to **** over time think of the gap your filling and the sealing properties of the product in use and honestly welding a bit of metal in will be 10 times easier and cheaper now doubt

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
They can be welded up to but it is very tricky to get that right, you have to be carefull not to heat the panel to much or they will warp and then you will be in trouble lol.
Plus all your welds would have to be air tight, any gaps in the weld would cause the bog on top to bubble eventually.

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
thats why u just stitch weld it into place then bog up the gaps left in place

after using litre after litre of body bog and fibreglass based bog i know what id rather be doing

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
leave gaps in your welds and eventually the bog will blister and bubble.

R3D_D3AD

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS, S, 3.8 Ute
nah mate welding is not an option

looks like fiberglass filler for the big gap is the go

c'mon guys I'd love to see some pics if anyone has any :D

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
nah mate welding is not an option

looks like fiberglass filler for the big gap is the go

c'mon guys I'd love to see some pics if anyone has any :D

I just gotta say it must take balls to attempt something like this that can go so badly wrong especially on a perfectly good car. Good luck.

R3D_D3AD

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS, S, 3.8 Ute
car has panel damage so it's getting a bit of bog and paint no matter what, I got nothing to lose