Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Finally a solution to ugly radiators

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Finally, a solution to ugly radiators..

attachment.php

Porsche 993 Turbo

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I don't think the Holden motors would run well on aircooling.

PSI_KING

Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS E
THE CFM rating required to adequetely cool a cast iron V8 is in-sufficient with that fan setup.

With an alloy engine you would still run into difficultly.

The only aftermarket single 16" thermatic engine fan that has been sucessful in cooling properly is the SPAL branded fan under all normal engine operating conditions. These are rated at 3000cfm and draw just under 50amps at full load. Unfortunately they are not durable and fail after a short period of time so are no ideal for daily driven vehicles.

A viable alternative I would recommend is an OEM Ford BA mkII/BF/FG series engine fan. These have proven to be reliable in earlier series vehicles where a thematic fan was not offered. You can also use fans from a Ford Mondeo or Mitsubishi Magna, both have similar success and are more compact than the EF/EL/AU series fan setup.

Ensure you use the proper rated wiring along with relay and fuse. On a more relevant note, the VR/VS Delco ECU can be edited to control engine fan engagement including the desired coolant temperature for the fan to become operational.

Regards,

PSI KING.

Last edited:

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Looks good for a show car but not sure about it for a daily driver in heavy traffic though :/ buy one and tell us how you go hehe

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Have one fitted in a Kingswood, best money ever spent, runs heaps cooler, fuel economy improved slightly, personally money well spent imo,

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Lol at the arguing.

Std radiator flushed out with au's bolted to it works perfectly and cost me under $200. Looks neat.

If you want to go even neater I'd suggest single bf thermo fan.

That original alloy radiator looks cheap and hideous. The shroud looks like something from a horror movie.

If you against running ford fans on your Holden, well then you got your head up your ass.