Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Finally a story about a good dad

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Boy, 5, made to walk two-and-a-half hours to school | National News | News.com.au

A bit of hilarity what happened afterwards, but just when I thought discipline for the younger generation was gone. This is like old-school discipline with new-generation caring.

I'd imagine in the 70's the dad would probably make the kid walk. But now he's walking with him, which is great.

What makes me even more glad is that there was no mention of Childrens Services about the abusive dad, torturing his 5 year old etc.

A heartening article.

A NORTHERN TERRITORY man has been making his five-year-old son walk two-and-a-half hours to school every day, after he was kicked off the school bus.

When Jack Burt confessed that he'd been banned for five days for hitting the bus driver in the head with an apple core, dad Sam thought he should learn the hard way. He and Jack last week were getting up at 5.10am for the dusty 13km-hike from the Darwin rural area of Herbert, all the way to Humpty Doo.

"Shame it didn't work," Mr Burt told the Northern Territory News.

"He got back on the bus Monday, and within three stops he was in trouble again. I couldn't believe it.

"I don't understand - he's good at school, he gets awards all the time."

However, a breakthrough might be in sight.

When Jack this week said he didn't mind walking - because it made him strong for fighting - he was told if he started fighting he might have to walk home in the afternoons too.

Jack's eyes got a little teary. He said he might not get home before dark.

Mr Burt told him not to worry - they'd leave the key out for him.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
HAH, that is great.

Pity more parents do not take this approach. In fact its a pity child services don't keep their bureaucratic arses out of all business.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Lol. Just waiting for the bleeding hearts to bleat that he was abused, he needed some counselling/medication/therapy, not physical torture.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Give back parental disciplinary rights I say. We need more Dads like Jacks for sure.

Go back to teaching kids their responsibilities instead of their rights.

Last edited:

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
When were parental disciplinary rights revoked?

Tatiana

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
When were parental disciplinary rights revoked?

Parents have far less control over ways and methods of disciplining children and enforcing house rules these days, for fear of reprisals from bodies such as FAYS or the Police. These days kids are told all the numbers and contacts for agencies should they be abused etc. and what rights they have.

I read somewhere that some parents even shower/bathe with their children with underwear on for fear of being accused of sexual molestation.

No I don't condone thrashing 7 shades of pooh out of a child, or verbal tirades that run the child down, however a simple smack on the back of a leg to a child that is throwing a tantrum or has just bitten his sibling for instance, could land you in a lot of trouble with the do gooders.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Give back parental disciplinary rights I say. We need more Dads like Jack for sure.

Go back to teaching kids their responsibilities instead of their rights.

jack is the kid, the dad's name is sam.

i hadnt heard of there ever being some sort of revocation of a parents rights to discipline their children. i always thought new parents these days where just lazy.

Tatiana

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
jack is the kid, the dad's name is sam.

What a difference a forgotten 's' makes :D

i hadnt heard of there ever being some sort of revocation of a parents rights to discipline their children. i always thought new parents these days where just lazy.

Not revoked I guess so much as changed. The older generations on here will know what I am talking about.

pip78

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VT Commodore Wagon V6
Parents have far less control over ways and methods of disciplining children and enforcing house rules these days, for fear of reprisals from bodies such as FAYS or the Police. These days kids are told all the numbers and contacts for agencies should they be abused etc. and what rights they have. .

I read somewhere that some parents even shower/bathe with their children with underwear on for fear of being accused of sexual molestation. .

thats just political correctness gone wrong

No I don't condone thrashing 7 shades of pooh out of a child, or verbal tirades that run the child down, however a simple smack on the back of a leg to a child that is throwing a tantrum or has just bitten his sibling for instance, could land you in a lot of trouble with the do gooders.

i dont condone that either. i dont see the harm in a simple smack to the back of the legs if a child is misbehaving.

heck when we were kids growing up if we played up we would usually get the wooden spoon to the back of the legs.....sometimes even a whack with the belt across the legs....it taught us not to play up. we even used to get our mouths washed out with soap if we swore.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Kettle electrical lead FTW!! One hit with that ****er and you NEVER do anything bad again :p