Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Finally got around to powder coating my SSV rims

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
Between you and redvess... both cars are awesome in my books, got my respect for your car simon.. makes me think if i should of got a red ve as opposed to my silver... but i still love it, trying to determine if i should powder coat my badges black not sure how it will look on silver though... but your car looks fantastic! Should be proud sir.

jayceon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
hey mate. the car looks awesome!! nice to see someone making a ssv even better than it is.

just a few questions...

what does the acid dipping do?
do the tyres need to be removed from the alloys for the process?
and what did you use to paint the badges... i want to do that also...

thanks mate

jayceon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
hey another question...

what paint finish/colour was this? was it matte black or? I am concerned that the finish might not match the black of the car...

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
hey mate. the car looks awesome!! nice to see someone making a ssv even better than it is.

just a few questions...

what does the acid dipping do?
do the tyres need to be removed from the alloys for the process?
and what did you use to paint the badges... i want to do that also...
what paint finish/colour was this? was it matte black or? I am concerned that the finish might not match the black of the car...

Acid dipping removes all the old paint if theres any on the rims (most are painted silver etc) so that the powder has something to stick to (and prevents peeling later on)
Tyres need to be removed, and all weights/valves (though the powdercoater removed the weights and valves off mine for me)
Not sure what the OP used for his badges, but i just used standard spray can paint for my badges (and spray primer for the first coat)
When i got mine done, the guy said he had 1000s of colours to choose from, and about 30 or so blacks, i'm sure theres a perfect colour to match your car :)

-vkhg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS
looks awesome mate! in my opinion keep the center caps silver. nothing beats the silver lion. also, judging on your pics, it matches out the head/tail/indicator lights nicely XD

agreed.

looks unreal man. thinkin bout same wheels same colour without red strip on my white ve ss.

TSM

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SSV VE
Mate, Fricken hott car !!
You did an awesome job !!

It needs some matt Black stripes along the sides where the doors are ?
Seen them on ebay - i reckon they would set it off.

Mortuary

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI Sportwagon
weird is subjective... manufacturers use silver wheels and badges because they match all colours making it a more cost effective and "safe" and conservative option.

I like the Boyd Coddington/Chip Foose school of motoring... every single car should be individual, with traits of the personality of the driver.

I love the whole Nacar meets Need for Speed look. It' very now, very in your face, and very me.

agreed mate well done! great job, haven't seen one quite like yours. you should be chuffed!