Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Finally got my replacement engine !!!!

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hi vs-lover,
I think your assessment of factory paint is a bit harsh. The finish of your paintwork will only ever stay as good as you look after it. Do you have a service manual on the VS? Maybe read that for recommended car procedure that was obviously not adhered to. (I read it all in the wifes 07 holden epica manual).
There are some better clears available over the last decade. But certainly not in the 90s. You just need to maintain what you get and it'll last a life time.
Imagine parking it outside at 10,000km with no bonnet and the oil filler cap loose, then complain at the poor condition motor internals after a year. Same scenario in my eyes.

Anyway, awesome pick up for $400. There will be some mint interior items for you.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi Deuce,

I certainly understand what you are saying, I've been involved for many years in the Automotive paint and protect game and also worked for Australia's leading car care company all over this big country of ours for a number of years, so yes I've seen it all.

Moroccan sand has turned up time and time again as being the most sensitive to Australian conditions paintwork with Heather Mist being a close second. Can you tell me the last time you've seen a pristine Moroccan Sand example compared to Sherbrook Green, Rubens Mica, Panther etc. etc. etc.

MS examples were already starting to fail 3 to 4 years after production while other clear coat examples were still trooping on. I totally understand that industrial fallout and failure to properly maintain any painted finish will only accelerate it's degrading, but MS and HM with their strong silver content just couldn't withstand our harsh Australian conditions as well as other colours could.

In the meantime I did a bit of detective work on this particular vehicle and found it's original private owner who had it since 1999 and just left it out on the street after a battery failure and bought a ?...................................you got it..........an SUV, what else ?

The vehicle copped a parking ticket and seven days later the Council had a tilt tray pick it up and took it straight to Pickles to auction off. After sorting out it's cooling system over the weekend with a new Thermostat and Radiator cap (originals still fitted) the car functions as it should and believe it or not still drives like a new tight VS. I'm now faced with the dilemma of tearing it apart for it's mechanicals or just giving it to the lad to drive as a good solid, but really ugly car.

The decision would be far easier if it copped some serious accident damage as then it would be a no brainer wouldn't it ?

Now if we were 20 years further down the road then this would be considered a brilliant barn find and a new paint job would be considered the least of it's problems.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Fair enough mate, I don't know the specific colours well enough. (Nor do I live in Aus).
But it sounds like a full respray (and colour change) is your best plan for this car.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think it best use would be as a donor. Too exi to respray a car of this vintage. But as a donor there would be well over 3k in good parts to hang onto as spares for a DD. Id love to have a donor as good as the OPs so convenient to just whip something off as needed, instead of heading to the wreckers, especially now that there will be fewer and fewer of these in the yards from now on. Things like a low KM trans they are rare at least known for sure low KM.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Screaming for a pressure pack black respray.

$40 paintjob for a $400 car.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Fair enough mate, I don't know the specific colours well enough. (Nor do I live in Aus).
But it sounds like a full respray (and colour change) is your best plan for this car.

Yes the sun is pretty damm harsh here in Australia compared to NZ. Good ol' Moroccan Sand was a nice colour when new (it was my wife's favourite for years) but certainly not after it's totally magotted like this one is and also most other are that we still see from time to time.

If one was going to venture down the path of painting then this one would really just need a closed door respray as all inside the doors and engine bay are fine and it would clean up really well if a little time was spent on it.

Like I've mentioned I'm still in two minds about it.

Hey Losh if you've got a spare 3K it's all yours LOL !!!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd love the trans but a later trans will be no use to me. I look on Gumtree a lot for a VR donor but nothing comes up.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Just fix the bumper and leave the rest and enjoy driving it. There are plenty worse on the road.

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
I'd vote for the basic respray and keep looking for more parts; but then I tend to preserve things.