Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Finally updated..Cammed and Diff completed

Obx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
Yes, after long time of saving and wondeing, I got my Camshaft upgraded and diff also. 221/330 speccs for the cam and 3.6 diff all completed with DOD removed etc.
Now let me say how angry the car got and the power is so much better...307rkw. Down side at the moment is the car "pushing" alot when slowing down but was told the car is still learning and settling. Just want people's opinion out there of how long this will last. Stall convertor will fix all this apparently but need to see in long term.
Comments please!!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Those cam specs are not correct, do you have the data from the cam card?
How do you figure your diff gears are 3.6? Just that is not standard / typical either.
Common unfortunate tragedy that someone sold you on ripping out the perfectly good AFM, charged you to convert it into an L98 with baby cam, charged you to make it work a bit better while revving tits off, yet doesn't know how to set low air speed (and idle I bet).
Tweaks to make it run efficiently in lower RPM register is either beyond the installer, else bumbling through to the inevitable crap result would leave both parties unhappy in terms of effort/$. Hence the suggestion you spend yet more hard earned fitting a stall convertor for a cam that shouldn't need it. IMO the greatest tragedy would be to bypass the engine's normally useful 1200-3000 RPM bandwidth and turn yet another V8 into a high revving buzzbox that is basically useless. The installer is happy having upsold every last component.
At this point all you need is someone on your side to tune your car properly, like the installer would have either if it could have or wasn't stringing you along. Standard setting for learning long term fuel trims (the incorrect parameter mentioned in this case) would sort that out within a tank.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Those cam specs are not correct, do you have the data from the cam card?
How do you figure your diff gears are 3.6? Just that is not standard / typical either.
Common unfortunate tragedy that someone sold you on ripping out the perfectly good AFM, charged you to convert it into an L98 with baby cam, charged you to make it work a bit better while revving tits off, yet doesn't know how to set low air speed (and idle I bet).

Agreed - some unusual specs there.

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Installer sounds like an amateur to me!

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Yes, after long time of saving and wondeing, I got my Camshaft upgraded and diff also. 221/330 speccs for the cam and 3.6 diff all completed with DOD removed etc.
Now let me say how angry the car got and the power is so much better...307rkw. Down side at the moment is the car "pushing" alot when slowing down but was told the car is still learning and settling. Just want people's opinion out there of how long this will last. Stall convertor will fix all this apparently but need to see in long term.
Comments please!!

Where did you get the cam done mate?

Obx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
Sorry guys, the diff is 3.7 and the camshaft apparently is their own grind but I will chase up the proper specs again to make sure.
Job was completed at DPM, and they do pretty good job. But I will follow this up. Thanks

Obx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
Monstar,
All the stuff you said is too complicated, can you put it in a simplified form for us non mechanical minds and new to v8 please. Much appreciated. The car idles fine, runs and drives nice, it’s just the surges as I’m coming to a hault that’s bit painful atm.
DPM retuned my car before and did a great job then the last guy. Recommended by few people also so I believe they shouldn’t be having me on. But who knows.
Thx in advance.

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
I’ve only heard good things about DPM, so I’d say you’re confusing the cam specs. Either way I went down this route a while ago with 3:70’s (from 3:27) and a 224/232 114 cam and needed to add a stall (TCI 2830) to eliminate slow speed surge.

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
I’ve only heard good things about DPM, so I’d say you’re confusing the cam specs. Either way I went down this route a while ago with 3:70’s (from 3:27) and a 224/232 114 cam and needed to add a stall (TCE 2830) to eliminate slow speed surge.

Last edited: