Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Finishing the job

Tekka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VR Commodore
Hey guys ive recently bought myself a VR commo acclaim and it has a spot on the bonnet that's in undercoat and is ready to be painted. The undercoat looks fairly old, i was just wondering what would it take to finish the job properly?

If i got it all sanded back nicely and preped it right, would a can of touch up paint of the correct colour make it belnd it properly with the rest of the paint or will it still have that spray can affect no matter how good i do it?

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
i reckon for fear of stuffing it up, just prep the whole bonnet, then get it undercoated and painted all at once. I think there'd be a fair chance that the colour you paint the undercoated bit with wouldnt match 100%. Do it all in one hit and you wont be disappointed, it'll cost a bit more, but it'll be worth it. Just my 2c :thumbsup:

Chappo_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
i agree with holden man dan/

i reckon for fear of stuffing it up, just prep the whole bonnet, then get it undercoated and painted all at once. I think there'd be a fair chance that the colour you paint the undercoated bit with wouldnt match 100%. Do it all in one hit and you wont be disappointed, it'll cost a bit more, but it'll be worth it. Just my 2c :thumbsup:

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw

Id have to agree. If it was me, id rather spend a little extra cash and be sure that it will turn out perfect, than take a risk to save a couple of bucks.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
As others said, respray the whole thing. Much better off that way.

Tekka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VR Commodore
I dont wanna spray the whole bonnet as i bet it will still be out of wack with the rest of the car and still have that spray can look.

Im trying to get my car complete on the cheap for the time being as i need transport pretty soon and dont wanna be driving around with a ugly gray and black patch on my bonnet, if i can get it really close to the car's colour than that would be good for the time being.

What type of prep needs to be done? what do i need to complete this
i.e what grit sand paper, do i need other paint prepin stuff etc etc

Thanks

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Undercoat absorbs moisture if it is left for a long time . The top coat will start to bubble . best to rub it back and do the whole lot .

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
spray can job on a part of the bonnet will never blend in with the bonnet's factory paintwork, unfortunately.

The 'spray can look' comes from exactly that... being painted with a spray can. You can do your best and put heaps fo clear over it, then sand back with 1200 + grit paper and polish it up, to do your best to remove the 'spray can look'.. but it will stick out like the proverbial mongrel's nuts.....

my bet would be to sand the whole thing nicely with 320 then 400 ish sand paper, wet.. making sure that you don't go back to bare metal anywhere... then clean it spotless with prepwash...

Then take it to a panel shop to give it a quick whack with a spraygun for (i'm guessing) 100 bux and fit it up...

failing that if you want it cheaper and don't want it to look half-asssed, just scan the wreckers for a same colour bonnet mate!

Luke.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
spray can job on a part of the bonnet will never blend in with the bonnet's factory paintwork, unfortunately.

The 'spray can look' comes from exactly that... being painted with a spray can. You can do your best and put heaps fo clear over it, then sand back with 1200 + grit paper and polish it up, to do your best to remove the 'spray can look'.. but it will stick out like the proverbial mongrel's nuts.....

my bet would be to sand the whole thing nicely with 320 then 400 ish sand paper, wet.. making sure that you don't go back to bare metal anywhere... then clean it spotless with prepwash...

Then take it to a panel shop to give it a quick whack with a spraygun for (i'm guessing) 100 bux and fit it up...

failing that if you want it cheaper and don't want it to look half-asssed, just scan the wreckers for a same colour bonnet mate!

Luke.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
Spray can jobs always stand out like a sore thumb and look tacky. As VN_Luke has said, if you want cheap, go to a wreckers and get a bonnet in the same color as yours.