Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First Car 2002 VX S Pac - Questions.

CarlosMaBah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S-Pack Series II
So yesterday I bought my first car, Advertised for $4500 a VX S Pac with 122,000kms and mint condition car with clean tidy interior with a little dent on the left back panel I ended up getting the girl down to $3800 and bought it then paid $975 for 19" HSV-I Super Sports with brand new tyres.

10455228_316618088502172_2415795787355142628_n.jpg

Id like to know 2 things. What springs should I get to lower her an inch or 3 with having tyre rub or having to modify anything else with my 19s? and secondly where is a 12v power source in the car I can use for some under dash LEDs thats only active when I turn the key like the radio? :)

Gives us some opinions on the first car guys anyway, Regards Carlos.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
So yesterday I bought my first car, Advertised for $4500 a VX S Pac with 122,000kms and mint condition car with clean tidy interior with a little dent on the left back panel I ended up getting the girl down to $3800 and bought it then paid $975 for 19" HSV-I Super Sports with brand new tyres.

10455228_316618088502172_2415795787355142628_n.jpg

Id like to know 2 things. What springs should I get to lower her an inch or 3 with having tyre rub or having to modify anything else with my 19s? and secondly where is a 12v power source in the car I can use for some under dash LEDs thats only active when I turn the key like the radio? :)

Gives us some opinions on the first car guys anyway, Regards Carlos.

Just pick up a switched source from the radio loom and run wires either side, also depends what you want with your springs? FE2 are cheap and good if you want to retain ride quality but will only drop the car around an inch think its 30mm, king springs are a popular option though ride quality is a bit harsh but its worth it for the handling ;) they come in 30mm, 50mm, and whatever ssl are.... I had SL (which I think is 50mm from std) on my old vx and was pretty damn low wouldn't want any lower ( had 18's not 19s though)

Nice buy btw

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
like to know 2 things. What springs should I get to lower her an inch or 3 with having tyre rub or having to modify anything else with my 19s?

personally I'd fit super lows all round as there a nice height and not really all that low.

don't know why you think the 19s will rub tho :-/ there 19x8 48P with 235/35s and have the exact same psychical size as say factory SS wheels (17x8 48P with 235/45s)

CarlosMaBah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S-Pack Series II
here 19x8 48P with 235/35s and have the exact same psychical size as say factory SS wheels (17x8 48P with 235/45s)

Ah so this wouldn't have made my speedometer inaccurate? to be honest these wheels look alot bigger when put next the stock wheels (when they were on the car)

Cheers for the help aswell guys, I think I'm gonna do the springs myself also with help from my dad and his mates.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
since you asked, I reckon that's a fine purchase. Much more sensible than my first car.

CarlosMaBah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S-Pack Series II
since you asked, I reckon that's a fine purchase. Much more sensible than my first car.

I originally wanted a VT SS 5.0 for my first car, but I thought Id go V6 for insurance price reasons. Plus they suck the fuel.

Sphector89

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 Vx Berlina
Your speedo will be out a tad, by 5ks maybe coz i have 19s on my Vx and its out so just watch your speed by going 5ish under just to be safe. 19s won't scrub even with SL springs, they might if you go any lower however. as for the LEDs you will have to tap into the wire for the interior light which is in the A pillar, i think the wire is orange and black (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn03X65FHUY). this is the only way you can do it because you not allowed to have lights on inside when driving. sweet ride by the way!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
take photos without EXTREME! angles, my 20 yo cousin does this and it very annoying. It's not extreme and it makes your car look stupid. Trust me you'll regret it when you get older and you want to look at some piccies of your old cars!!

Oh - NICE CAR!

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

nice car, i wish my first car was that nice ( or any of my cars that that low a k's on the clock )

i have a link to my SS , also a comparison for my WH ( VX statesman ) , the statesman has the factory FE1 on the compliance, i worked with the original owner and it has not been changed

The SS has king springs all the way around, i think they as sl or ssl - i have a photo of the part numbers anyway , they are one nothc lower than the stock SS FE2.

The ride is excellent and goes over normal bumps and potholes well, even speed humps are not a problem , .it will not bottom out

A few friends have lower cars and they need to crawl over speed humps at maccas etc like 1kph and scrape with some driveways / gutters, i have no problem at all.

I have listed the ride height of both cars , can you please measure yours and reply, that was we can have a good comparison
measure from the wheel centre straight up untill you reach the crease of the guard

VT

Front = 360 Rear = 330

WH

Front = 370 Rear = 360

so my SS is 10mm lower up front and 30mm lower in the back, i notice almost all of these commodores are lower in the rear ( far different to my HQ-HJ-WB days )

The wheels on the WH are 225 x 50 x 16
The wheels on the SS are 235 x 45 x 17

regards
george

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Ah so this wouldn't have made my speedometer inaccurate? to be honest these wheels look alot bigger when put next the stock wheels (when they were on the car)

No there the exact same size! The only reason they'd put your speedo out is if you have the incorrect tyre eg VE tyres are 245/40R19s

If you have 235/35R19s there the same and that's the only size you should have.