Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First car, VE sv6 differences?

JoelCassar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Hey all,
I'm on the edge of buying my first car and wanted to know your input!
I'm thinking about buying a manual sv6 sedan 2006-2008 (as I don't have enough money for SIDI/newer models) and was curious to know...
Is there big differences between the 06, 07, 08 models?
Should I steer away from any, for what reasons?
Thanks in advance!

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Get the absolute latest model you can afford, earlier sv6's have a very costly timing chain problem not all have It but some do I think It stopped around 08? So make sure to enquire about the chain problem with whoever you buy the car off an if they say "oh yeah that was fixed a while ago" ask to see receipts.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
What is your budget? Having owned an '06 SV6, I'd prefer a SIDI 3.0L Omega. Don't get me wrong it was a good car when new, but the suspension was a bit harsh, and with the timing chain issue and other older car risks, the SIDI Omega would be a better car by a long shot. The '08, SV6 which I refer to as S1.5, was a smoother car. But the best for me was the 2010 3.6SIDI Sportwagon, and the S2 SV6 sedan. As [per the good advice above, go for the latest model you can, even if lower spec, and aim for a SIDI!
Good luck

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
I agree with all of the above.

A question for Joel - have you considered how you'll be using the car ? A lot of passengers, or luggage, or towing ... highway or city ?
You're thinking about what you can afford now, so you might do yourself a favour and consider fuel costs after you buy the car.
Then, you might lean toward the more economical 3.0 SIDI.

BIG_JV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Hey mate,
I bought an 08 sv6 for my first car about 1yr ago (couldn't afford an SIDI as i just finished school and only had cash from a weekend job) and its been excellent and I highly recommend it. Its just ticked over to 160,000km and been extremely reliable. All I've done to it over the past 12 months were oil changes, a throttle body clean and new tyres (which were a bit pricey).

A couple of badge snobby mates of mine joked about my commo and bought similar aged Beamers (07 and 08) for their first cars, with half the km of mine and they have both been literally falling to pieces over the last 12 months, requiring thousands of dollars of repairs. I laugh at their snobbery :p

Anyway, when looking at the SV6s make sure that you get one that has been looked after and regularly serviced (check the logbooks) as these engines have a tendency to sludge up if the oil is not changed regularly (15000km is the very max between changes, personally I looked for 7-10k between the changes). As said above, the 06 and 07 models had timing chain issues so that's why I went for the 08, but the odds are that the 06-07 ones would have been fixed by now anyway. A good way to check is to start the engine, open the bonnet and listen carefully to the engine. If you hear a loose chain rattling, sort of like a bike chain when its not tight enough, the timing chain is stretched, so don't buy that car.

The 08 models also have some niftier features not in the 06/07 ones like the aux in on the stereo to connect an mp3 player and the Bluetooth handsfree (which was an option till 08 I think)

Also with regards to the previous guys' post about the 3.0L SIDI, personally I'd avoid that engine as it feels gutless compared to the Hi-po Alloytec in my car despite seeming more appealing on paper with similar horsepower but better efficiency (test it yourself, you can notice it), the 3.6 SIDI tho is a killer engine, if you can afford it, pick one up.

Happy buying (Y)