Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First Car with whining diff - replacement?

CJ_Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VT Calais
Hey guys i bought my first car which is a 1998 VT calais supercharged.
i got it pretty cheap, but ive since had to rebuild the motor.
the car has 230k on the clock, and the diff has a rather loud whine.
the mechanic that is rebuilding my diff said itd be near 1000 bucks to put a recond diff in.
im pretty mechanically minded, and there are tons of VT's being wrecked on gumtree etc.
can i get any diff out of any VT and put it in my calais?? because i rekon itd be way cheaper than the 600-700 bucks he said it would cost?
is it a job i could tackle myself, coz i dont have much money, especially after the rebuild and not even having my P's yet.
Cheers for any help or ideas
Chris

Last edited:

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
As long you you match the series of the vt it will fit if it series one

Vp - vt series 1 will fit ,if its Vt series 2 -vz will fit & a series 2 diff can be converted to series 1 but not the other way around with changing the pinion the difference is the flange and the later diffs have a locating spigot
also "High Performance" is not an lsd its just a M80

CJ_Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VT Calais
yeh its a series 1 so thats no worries. how much do you rekon i should be paying for a diff? and is it a job i can do myself? cheers

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
I got a complete rear end(ajustable) out of a VY for $300, Inc diff, tailshaft,brake's ect.
But i'd say prob around $100 for the diff in GC.

The job is easy if you have a helper, Also a trolley jack comes very handy, I found when i was removing the drive shaft's off mine the allen bolt's were a bastard to get loose! That was the hardest part for me, Other than that it's all pretty straight foward, 4 bolt's on top of the diff, Like 20 allen bolt's on the drive shaft's(Ehhh), 4 bolt's on the tailshaft and its out.

Also, Mine sais HIGH PREFORMANCE and it is LSD.... So i guess some is some arnt...