Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First Time Buying From Holden Dealer

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
Ok, so I found a dealer used VE SV6 II - Auto 6 in perfect blue for 24,990 with just under 90K on it. These are very exciting times as this is going to be my first time buying direct from a Holden dealer.

For my first car I just kind of rushed in there, knocked the price down abit, paid in cash, and drove away. But this time I'm going to need to do things differently. So I was just wondering if I could get some useful tips on how to approach the dealership and the sales person directly.

First off, I'm going need to get finance on the car, which poses my first problem, I only get paid cash in hand from work. Will this cause problems with trying to get it financed and if so, is there anything I can do to help the situation?

Secondly, I've never really tried "bargaining", so what is the best way the knock a few bob of the displayed price?

Pretty much, I am a complete novice, and I don't want to walk in there half cocked and end up looking like a twat, so any advice you can give me on how to purchase my "first real" car would be great.

Even simple advice on how financing actually works would be good. I understand it for the most part, but I'm sure they try to push past the fine print and I end up paying more then I have to.

Info on "drive away" prices vs. on road coast would be good to. How can I make it so I leave without having to pay stamp duty / transfer costs ect..

Like I said, I'm a complete novice and so tips and tricks from all angles would be real helpful.

Cheers.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Always be prepared to walk away. If the dealer gets a sniff that you've already decided that the car he has is exactly what you're after then he will always have the upper hand.

Also, if you're financing, don't let them sell you all the extra bull **** like extended warranty, death cover and such. It's a rip off.

Woody_SS

Defective User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Always ask for the best price they can do before the test drive. After the test drive point any and little faults including stone chips and then bargain best price down.

You may have issues with finance if you can't prove income/savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
Always be prepared to walk away. If the dealer gets a sniff that you've already decided that the car he has is exactly what you're after then he will always have the upper hand.

Also, if you're financing, don't let them sell you all the extra bull **** like extended warranty, death cover and such. It's a rip off.

Will keep that in mind, thanks!

Always ask for the best price they can do before the test drive. After the test drive point any and little faults including stone chips and then bargain best price down.

You may have issues with finance if you can't prove income/savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they do a credit check when applying for finance? Or is a completely different system for approval?

Also, can I use my current car as a trade in and get a bigger price off the VE? What is the best way to do that?

Last edited:

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
yes they will always do a credit check,as long as you have a good rating you should know in less than 3hrs if they will give you a loan

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
try sell your current car private.. they will give you SFA as a trade in as they know you want the car..

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just so you know, my Father recently picked up an ex fleet 2010 or 2011 VEII SV6 3.6 wagon for $23k with 40,000 on the clock from Pickles (not sure if it was an auction or just a buy price). I think you can do better.

Any car you use as a trade in will typically be valued at absolute minimal market value (not very much), you'll probably get offered 2k if you're lucky for the VX.

Also, why are you choosing to buy from a dealer?

ChewieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6
If you can sell privately you'll do a lot better than trading in. They will offer you $5,000 - $7000 less than its worth, as they will want to make a shitload on its resale, (unless its not something worth reselling...then they'll unload it to the trade and give what they'd get for it from Honest John's Used Car yard......which will be one fifth of f#ckall. If they offer you what seems like a good price for your trade in you can be sure of one thing....they are gonna bend you over on the price you'll pay for the new one.

See if you can arrange your own finance as well....you may well get it cheaper than the dealer will offer, but without a credit rating and a verifiable income source, you might struggle to get it at all from the dealer.

You've said that these are exciting times for you....and I know what you mean. If you're like me you'll be impatient and impulsive and be thinking that you HAVE to have this car. Slow down....there are many other deals out there just as good or better. Take your time, investigate selling your car privately, getting finance, and FFS, put on your poker face when you go to the dealer. I'm over 60 now, but I always take a mate with me when buying, to act as devil's advocate, and rein me in if I get overexcited. If you do it properly, and get a good deal, it is very satisfying.

When you finally do find the car that you want, negotiate them down as far as you can, the offer them a couple of grand less, and if they don't accept it, give them your number and walk away. Give it a day or two, and if you haven't heard from them, they wont come down any further, and if you really want the car you can go and get it for their price. Chances are though, they'll ring you and accept your offer or something in between. Its a game, and played well it will save you some money.

Read this... Car dealer tricks, strategies, scams and tactics

There are all sorts of tricks they use....some are downright nasty, but some are very subtle and lull you into state where you are ripe for the picking. If you ever feel like you are being conned...you probably are.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
treat them like any other dealer.

and get a hold of any frills you can without paying for them but watch for traps in them.

I bought a car through a Toyota dealer, I got the cheap finance (4.something %), insurance (full comp $600ish) and fixed price servicing/warranty thrown in with the deal.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
buy and trade in a $200 **** box.. but before you do, try and find out their lowest price they will take..