Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

first time on forums 1986 VL Calais

pricey3682

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais
1986 VL Calais project

Hello everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. Just registered tonight. Treated myself on my 20th birthday to a 1986 VL Calais. Had it's share of problems but nothing that can't be fixed in due course. Planning to fix everything mechanically first and worry about the cosmetics afterward as it will be my daily. More pics to come, all feedback welcome. Cheers James

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
nice score man. done well. from 1 pic looks quite straight.
Give us a rundown.
Km's
Auto or Man
Future mods
Etc
More pics(sign up free to photobucket then copy addy to here for better pics)

Didnt need 2 threads for it man.

Last edited:

pricey3682

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais
I posted it the first time an assumed it didn't work as I couldn't see it and the second time it did.
Auto
230000 on the clock
Full red interior and all Calais options(power windows aren't working at the moment, hopefully an easy fix)
Future plans are to fix the list of issues I learned of yesterday.
- oil leaks
- radiator
- brakes front and rear
- steering and suspension all which will done in the next few weeks.

Also looking at getting the standard VL rust the front screen done next month and a general touch up of the exterior. will be replacing the rear garnish and taillights

As for mods, will be getting lowered so she sits nice after I'm satisfied with all the above repairs. Priorty is to get her safe and reliable as it will be my daily. Not too concerned about wheels for now but will look at getting the Calais wheels cleaned and tidied up.

More pictures tomorrow

The power windows are giving me a headache. I can hear the passenger front motor moving but nothing happens and the rest nothing at all. I've heard the switches are common to stuff out but any ideas on what to look at would help.

Cheers

pricey3682

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais
Quick update.
Replaced front and rear rotors and front and rear pads
Flushed brake fluid
Replaced offside rack end and near side tie rod along with both rack boors and got a wheel alignment.
Gearbox was slipping a bit so checked auto level and topped up about 1.5L, seemed good on the way home.

On the way home, was creeping up to 80ks and the whole car began to rumble and shake. I suspect the uni joints and centre bearing have run their course.

Tomorrow I plan to fit a new adjustable pan hard rod and degrease the engine top and bottom. Pictures tomorrow.

Just wondering has anyone installed HID's in their VL?

Cheers James

^_^ Gem132

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Executive
will be watching this i love vl's, quick question i got an auto vl aswell that does the same thing when im slowly accelerating and get to 70k's it shakes and rumbles only does it in economy mode though, do you know if its a cheap fix ?

pricey3682

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais
The uni joints and centre bearing are cheap in parts but it's the labour that will cost you if you don't do it yourself. Took me roughly 3-4 hours the first time I did it, not something ii wanted to do again but looks like I will have to.

I got my bits at trade price, I think the unis were 13 bucks each and the centre bearing around 30 so retail I'd say around 80-90 bucks, from repco.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
this rumble/shudder at that speed is the Lockup Converter for Overdrive engaging. cheapest fix is to unplug the overdrive solenoid on the side of the box. its a common problem on the Jatco 4spd. once this solenoid is unplugged u still have your 4 gears but no lockup o/d
Mine did this and i unplugged it, not a problem since as many have done the same

pricey3682

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais
Cheers nath. If it's still there after info the unis I'll be doing that.

Just degreased the engine top and bottom. Before and after pics :

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 429
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 679

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
looks heaps better. just keep the gerni away from the dizzy as most dizzy seals are perished and the crank angle sensor is in there. if moisture gets in u will have starting/running problems till it dries out. Uni's will give the car some vibration/shudder under loads (take off/acceleration etc) wont do it at a set speed. Guarantee its the lockup converter