Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First VT modification

upthetiggers

Kill Cane Toads!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I recently bought a VT 50th annivesary edition and apart from factory CAI its a stock as a rock (auto/3.8).

I'm not after more KW although I would never say no :), but I would like a more responsive throttle, I used to own a manual 2L small car and I guess I got used to having quick response when I hit the accelator. The VT seems to be a bit sluggish in that respect, but the power is fine when the revs are up.

Changing the diff ratios isn't an option as I do a fair bit of FWY cruising.

What would be the best option for getting a more responsive accelaration:

1. Extractors/exhuast upgrade
2. shift kit
3. Chip
4. bore out the throttle body or similar?

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Best bet would be the exhaust and extractors mate. It will give you the a decent power increase.
The factory CAI you have got is just a stock one. Get yourself a decent CAI and K&N panel filter. That will help to make it a bit more responsive.
Also check the throttle cable adjustment and clean the throttle body.
From what I've read about shift kits i wouldn't bother unless you have a huge amount of power.

Steven M

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX BERLINA S2 V6
Yeah i have the same prob as you, as said get an exhaust, extractors and a chip if you can! My gf has a vt berlina with these and if we put our foots down from the lights hers **** all over mine by about nearly 2 car lengths just like that.

Arth

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Calais
It all just depends on how much money you want to spend. But like TigerVX said first thing would have to be the exhaust & extractors and the K&N filter, I got both and do quite well off the line.

upthetiggers

Kill Cane Toads!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
TigerVX said:
Get yourself a decent CAI and K&N panel filter. That will help to make it a bit more responsive.

I thought the factory CAI was decent unless you really start working the engine?

Does anybody have the prices that they paid for extractors/exhaust?
I'm just interested in the cost of parts as me and a mate can fit them.

Arth

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Calais
I paid $900 for a high flow 2.5 inch system and pacemaker extractors all fitted last wednesday. Think I did quite well. It just depends on where ya go, can be anywhere fro 800-1200 depending on the brands etc

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
upthetiggers said:
I thought the factory CAI was decent unless you really start working the engine?

Does anybody have the prices that they paid for extractors/exhaust?
I'm just interested in the cost of parts as me and a mate can fit them.
The stock CAI is just ok for a stock engine but you benefit from larger CAI particulary with a decent extractor / exhaust setup.

Z

Z()LTAN

i got my 2.5 catback for $200 and im gettin my 1 3/4 pacemakers done on wednesday for $520

V

vsII manual

If you want more response, I would be inclined to get a larger throttle body.
It increases throttle response to a large degree.

C

coldv6super

I would firstly try to free up the cars system by removing excessive bach pressure, a nice high flowing exhaust. after you do the basic mods a engine management system or chip will allow you to experience the full benefit of your modifications!