Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First year apprentice

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
all depends on the trade really as too what youll be doing?
im a 2nd year chippy myself, all through my first year i was doing all the same **** as everyone else, just a bit slower
now half way through my second year im gettin hooked up with a trailer and starting too run my own jobs
but i have 2 first year bitches underneath me, to do as i say and too learn off me

I really don't support things like this. No 2nd year should be running their own jobs telling other apprentices how to do things when they're just learning themselves.

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
A lot of tradies are tight arse sleazy pricks, that's why I'm not doing an apprenticeship, every site I was on was me doing all the hard work and my boss not paying me.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
isnt it illegal not to have a fully qual person on site with you?

i know at my company there is always qual guys.
but i remember reading or hearing something that your not ment to be on your own.

eg if there is only 1 qual guy on my site (which doesnt happen but yeah...)
and he doesnt show up.
all us apps from that site have to go into the head office.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
isnt it illegal not to have a fully qual person on site with you?

i know at my company there is always qual guys.
but i remember reading or hearing something that your not ment to be on your own.

eg if there is only 1 qual guy on my site (which doesnt happen but yeah...)
and he doesnt show up.
all us apps from that site have to go into the head office.

We managed to get an answer out of the apprentice board in NSW, and apparently apprentice electricians can do anything they want (install power points, lights etc), but they are not allowed to commission work or connect it up to supply.
I let my apprentice change stove controllers, light bulbs and power points by himself - but he's with me the rest of the time.

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
An apprenticeship will be what you make it, show no motivation and a boss will let you sweep the floor for $6 an hour. Show them you want to learn THEY WILL TEACH YOU. The thing people don't understand it to train an apprentice it takes time, the tradies still need to get the same amount of work (if not more), if the apprentice is not willing to learn then you are wasting your time (money). Show you want to work and you will go far.

I really don't support things like this. No 2nd year should be running their own jobs telling other apprentices how to do things when they're just learning themselves.

I completely agree, i believe a second year should be able to, but should not work without supervision. Tradies should be around for support, atleast until mid third year.

Potta9

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve r8 , B2600
Ask heaps of questions no matter how stupid they may sound. A good tradesman will always be happy to help and answer any of your questions . After a couple of months you will probably get into a bit of a routine and figure out who will teach you and who will just make you pass them spanners. So keep your head down and work hard.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Things i did as a first year:

(Workshop was approx 50m long)
Sweep workshop
Mop Workshop
Get Milk for Kitchen
Change Hand Towels in Bathrooms
Come in early to open up
Change soap in the bathrooms
Lunch runs
Clean oil room
Rearrange tool room
Empty all the bins in the workshop
etc
etc

First year's alot of **** work, and hey. I was still emptying bins in my 4th year.

HAZZA-VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VY SS :)
I did a traineeship as a suspension tech/ aligner as its all called same ****. But i wasn't aloud to touch a car for about 3 months then the guy training me went on leave and they brought in someone else to see how i was doing and i had no real confidents to begin with its sucks if you just get shown stuff but never given the chance to work it out yourself..
Funny going to trade school for a course all the blokes there were telling the ""Teacher he was doing **** wrong and had no idea"" ended up in a big argument

njmartin

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec, VY wagz

just beltin up house frames mate.
i have 1 week of trade school left which after that i will have my certificate 3 anyway, just not my on the job training, which these days its all competency based anyway, if your boss thinks your capable and youve done your schooling, you can be signed off.
all very basic work anyway, once you know the basics its very easy.
ive been working unaided for about 6 months, but now my boss just wants to make more money off me.
not complaining as i also earn more :D