Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fisho

Fisho

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina
I have a VT Berlina. If I reinsert the fuse, the horn will stay on. A holden workshop has advised airbag replacement at $$$ to fix this. I understand that the edges of a metal/foil strip beneath the airbag can get raised and so make contact with the horn terminals. Apparently removal of the strip does the trick. This makes sense to my simple brain. On the other hand, I really can't see how the air bag could be the cause or even contributing to the issue. So my question is : Is it possible that airbag replacement could be needed to correct my horn problem.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Yes. Its called the clock spring and is what makes the electrical connection to the steering wheel itself.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
disconnect the battery wait a long while .just to be safe .. then unscrew the airbag part

Fisho

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina
Yes. Its called the clock spring and is what makes the electrical connection to the steering wheel itself.

Thanks Tasmaniak. I am sure your knowledge is greater than mine. I should have said that the initial prob was the horn stayed on and I was able to stop it by pressing the steering wheel hub (airbag cover). Then one night it came on by itself so I removed the fuse. I would have thought that a clock spring fault would have prevented the horn from working at all. I have not been able to find anything on the web of any use so at this stage you are my best bet. With the above symptoms, do you still think that the clock spring could be the prob?

Fisho

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina
Thanks dirty hands. Yep! If I get to exploring the airbag issue I will certainly be cautious.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
could be a metallic tab on the back of the airbag

VX_WAGON_SII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Wagon S2
sand or file the metal contacts down a bit, they can make contact with different temperature, hence why it went off during the night

Fisho

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina
Thanks for assistance guys. Replaced airbag ($50 from wreckers) and prob fixed. Suspect a sticky horn pad. The foil sticker (common problem if edges curl) did not appear to be an issue. All good & now legal!