Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fitting extractors and retune- LS1

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
Hi all

2 quick questions,

how long does it roughly take to fit extractors, a mechanic at work will fit them but need to know if its a lunch time job or a saturday job

how critical is the re-tune? can i wait a few weeks or whats the go?

cheers

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
A mechanic with right tools is a lunchtime job, with the re tune it's not a major thing. Won't hurt to wait a few weeks for one.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
A mechanic with right tools is a lunchtime job, with the re tune it's not a major thing. Won't hurt to wait a few weeks for one.

ohk sweet, i just didnt want to get stuck half way through it at the end of lunch :p i work at a dealership so tools arnt an issue

thats good to know about the tune.. i assume it will just use abit more fuel and obviously no power gain really

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
No your fuel consumption will be fine, you will notice a slight power gain but more with a good tune.

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Your welcome buddy.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
A lunch time job on an LS1? If the guy has to ask, then I'm assuming he has never fitted extractors to an LS1? I have been fitting them for years, and it takes me 2-3 hours. For a first timer, allow 4 at least.

The rack has to be dropped and moved over, the cat pipes have to be cut and flanges welded to them, the LHS takes about 20 minutes, but the RHS is the one that takes a while.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
A lunch time job on an LS1? If the guy has to ask, then I'm assuming he has never fitted extractors to an LS1? I have been fitting them for years, and it takes me 2-3 hours. For a first timer, allow 4 at least.

The rack has to be dropped and moved over, the cat pipes have to be cut and flanges welded to them, the LHS takes about 20 minutes, but the RHS is the one that takes a while.

lol we work on Porsche's here not LS1's.. so thats why im asking

the extractors will be fitted with the full system that came of another car

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Even so, not having done an LS1 before, I would still allow 4 hours.

Fit the extractors first, then hang the system in place, then bolt the cats in. Don't tighten the cat bolts right up until the system is sitting level and the tail pipes are straight.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
Even so, not having done an LS1 before, I would still allow 4 hours.

Fit the extractors first, then hang the system in place, then bolt the cats in. Don't tighten the cat bolts right up until the system is sitting level and the tail pipes are straight.

hmm definitely a saturday job :p

thank you for the info mate, much appreciated.