Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fitting extractors to VH V8

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
I've got the extractors and ive had a look at the gap ive got to get them through and with a 4 year old sister watching me i cant say what i wanna say as i attempt to wiggle them through.

From what i can see i will need to remove the starter motor from the left hand side and from there smooth sailing?

And looking down the right hand side i have no idea... Which way around the steering arm do i go? i guess you go between the motor and steering? this is gonna be intense.

If anyone has photos or some tricks to doing it that would be great cause my mum wants my car out of the garage by tomorow arvo...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You will need to undo the engine mounts and jack each side of the engine up a bit to get them through. Sometimes you also need to undo the gearbox mount and push the gearbox over a bit as well. Yes, the starter has to come out.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
hahahahaha, have fun, greenfoam stuggled for over day with his, in the end he dropped the engine mounts and jacked up the engine. i've found that if you do one mount at a time and jack the engine up under the sump (use a large block of wood) that the engine ****s over to one side creating slightly more room.

good luck

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
yeah i actually got them in pretty easy only took about 3 hours. I took the starter off for the left hand side and undid the right engine mount and jacked up that side and moved the steering rack for the right hand side. Too bad there arent any exhaust shops open around here today to finish the job. Oh well monday it is. Thanks anyway guys