Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting new seats/airbag VT 97

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
If your car didn't come with air bags in the seat
And you put air bags in the seat and don't connect them
I can't see this a problem with insurance ??? would it??

You should be OK without connecting them because there is no visual difference between a non airbagged seat and one with an airbag, so who would know.
I think the side impact sensor is in the pillar next to the seat.

Barney118

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT commodore exec wagon
If your car didn't come with air bags in the seat
And you put air bags in the seat and don't connect them
I can't see this a problem with insurance ??? would it??

appologies, Its not putting airbags in the seats, its putting the airbag on the dash. The plugs shown are the seatbelt pretensioners. I have found out I need a few more parts, ythe BCM, maybe harness, the dash flap and the shell its sits in the dash. the wrecker wants another $250 for the parts an a auto electrician will fit for $500-$600, I dont think its worth the effort.

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
appologies, Its not putting airbags in the seats, its putting the airbag on the dash. The plugs shown are the seatbelt pretensioners. I have found out I need a few more parts, ythe BCM, maybe harness, the dash flap and the shell its sits in the dash. the wrecker wants another $250 for the parts an a auto electrician will fit for $500-$600, I dont think its worth the effort.
Now i understnd where you coming from all makes sense now
Regarding connecting another air bag in dash
No i would never stuff around with that kind of thing
Just leave it as is

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
Just a tip, not sure if its in the thread already, ill post it anyway. If your swapping your seats, make sure the battery is disconnected for at least 1 minute (i'd wait 5 just to be safe) so that the computer doesn't register an air bag fault when you remove the seat belt pretensioner air bag cable from the seat. This is a sensor, but it's just there so it knows if someone is in the seat, it also completes a circuit for the air bags, so if your driving without your seat belt on, the air bag won't go off. the point of this is say if you have no one in your passenger seat, you wouldn't want the passenger side air bags to go off if theres no one sitting there.

There is a lot involved in getting extra air bags to work, really not worth it, but in saying that, if you have passengers often (for example, kids) it might be worth having the extra safety. I've swapped my dash pad over in the past, in doing this i could see the passenger air bag and everything involved, in fact i think i have a picture of it somewhere. It looked like it would be a lot of work to get that put in, but if you have little ones might be worth having the extra safety.

vycrewmanblack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CREWMAN S PACK
Just a tip, not sure if its in the thread already, ill post it anyway. If your swapping your seats, make sure the battery is disconnected for at least 1 minute (i'd wait 5 just to be safe) so that the computer doesn't register an air bag fault when you remove the seat belt pretensioner air bag cable from the seat. This is a sensor, but it's just there so it knows if someone is in the seat, it also completes a circuit for the air bags, so if your driving without your seat belt on, the air bag won't go off. the point of this is say if you have no one in your passenger seat, you wouldn't want the passenger side air bags to go off if theres no one sitting there.

Sorry for reopening a thread here, but i have a VY crewman S pack and i just put non airbag seats in (used to have airbagged seats) and i didnt disconnect the battery before hand unfortunately. so now i have an SRS light on my dash and a warning sign every time i start the car.
Anyway of fixing this??

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Sorry for reopening a thread here, but i have a VY crewman S pack and i just put non airbag seats in (used to have airbagged seats) and i didnt disconnect the battery before hand unfortunately. so now i have an SRS light on my dash and a warning sign every time i start the car.
Anyway of fixing this??
You need to have it reset and recalibrated with the correct scan tool by Holden or some mechanics can do it. You might have a problem though because it is illegal to remove air bags as far as I know.

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
You need to have it reset and recalibrated with the correct scan tool by Holden or some mechanics can do it. You might have a problem though because it is illegal to remove air bags as far as I know.

This.

Anyone with a Tech2 can do it, so Holden, or anyone else with the machine can fix the problem. But as said above, it's illegal to remove air bags from a car.

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
Anyway of fixing this??

Might just be a simple case of visiting the local auto elc to delete the error code

I once had my air bag light come on after a stemed cleaned the carpets

Went to local auto elc he deleted the error

Beeen all good since

That was done over 2 years ago