Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fix Your Broken Odometer

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
another lil thing that i learnt .,. only press the set button to reset the trip meter when the car is stationary, never press it while the car is moving can also cause the gears to break.

rojumena

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Executive Sedan
Lost_Pete

Thanks for the great help. Pics were extremely helpful.
Minor gliches experienced:
first with removing the panel because mine is an Executive with column gears. Had to release the nuts clamping the ignition etc and slide that out of the way.
second was removing the ribbon cable - almost damaged it...
Assembly and test worked out ok.

Thanks mate.

chook69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commodores
Not sure how it would apply to a private person;

MOTOR DEALERS ACT 1974 - SECT 47A
Odometer offences
47A Odometer offences

(1) A person shall not interfere with the odometer of a motor vehicle.

Maximum penalty: 100 penalty units.

(1A) A person must not fit to a motor vehicle a device capable of rendering the odometer of the motor vehicle inoperative or inaccurate.

Maximum penalty: 100 penalty units.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), a person interferes with an odometer if the person:

(a) alters the reading on the odometer,

(b) removes or replaces the odometer, or

(c) renders the odometer inoperative or inaccurate by any means whatsoever.

(3) A person may, with the written approval of the Director-General or of a prescribed person or a person of a prescribed class or description, alter the reading on an odometer, or replace an odometer, in accordance with the terms of that approval.

(4) If in proceedings for an offence under subsection (1) it is proved that the defendant had possession of the motor vehicle and that, during the time it was in the possession of the defendant, or shortly after the time it ceased to be in the possession of the defendant, the odometer reading was less than the odometer reading at the time the defendant acquired possession of the vehicle, it shall be presumed, in the absence of proof to the contrary, that the defendant interfered with the odometer of the vehicle.

(5) In any proceedings for an offence under subsection (1) it shall be a defence for the defendant to prove:

(a) that the action was not taken by the defendant with the intent of enhancing the apparent value of the motor vehicle for the purpose of sale, and

(b) that the action was not taken by the defendant for any other fraudulent purpose.

ok guys an thanks for that 88green... if you not aloud to fix the ODO your self, then i think ill take it to a place that can.. tho its pritty simple to do, i just done it on a wreck at a wreckers just to find out haw its done,, but that odo cog was ****ed aswell lol... so when me VN comes back from my mechanics from being tuned an stuff, i will rip the cluster out an repair the ODO..

thanx guys....

Last edited:

Panda01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 3.8 5 Speed
Just letting you all know, I called Able instrument Sales and Service and their price has gone up to $15.90 plus GST. Still worth it as far as I'm concerned.

bogan4life

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn
anybody on the goldcoast looking for the small cog bit to fix there broken odometer i found it here for $10!took me 30mins to fix!! my first time doing it following instructions above!

goodluck :

Southport Auto Recyclers - Place page
Southport Auto Recyclers - 5 Bailey Crescent, Southport - (07) 5571 0699

Simonvl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl belina
Hi guys, I bought the gear that normally breaks , oped em the cluster and that gear is NOT broken but I still don't have an odometer or trip, could it be the speedo cable?