Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fixing a Trip Computer

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
If you need to replace the LCD screens in a Level 3 trip computer - one major problem can be the white plastic fascia snapping the mount holes.

Here is a way to fix it if you have most of the bits rattling around in side still.

1. Take the trip computer out of the cluster and flip the screens over and remove the 6 screws holding the PCB onto the fascia.

2. Remove the 3 LCD screens after marking them L - left m - middle - r right.

3. Super glue the small parts (only use small amounts of glue here) back in place taking care not to get any in the threads - your just looking to hold in place at this point

4. Cut 4 thin strips of 25mm sticky tape about 5mm wide and cover the 4 holes along the bottom of the fascia.

5. Mix some 5 min araldite - about a 20c worth and using a strong type tooth pick place the glue in and around the holes in t steps. First put glue in all 4 spots and push down into the slots. Then as it sets make sure all 4 mounts are coverd at the top

6. Within an hour you will need to trim the glue with a sharp knife/ofler blade so that the LCD screen fit back in. Also remove the sticky tape from the front of the holes.

7. You then repeat for the top 2 mount holes with small aount of glue so that the glue joins the mount peg to the sides for extra strength.

8. Trial the LCD screens for fitment and put the 6 screws back in. Some times the alignment is not so good and may need to repeat this step if screens are pale. If after several goes the LCD screens may infact be dead.

9. If you get a screen with no segments at all you may have put it in upside down.

10. I recommend running T4 Neo Wedge LED's in place of the globes to reduce heat. They are much cheaper to buy also.

Also you can use this thread to ask any questions about trip computers or LCD screens you may have.

Attachments

• Busted Bits.JPG
    Busted Bits.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,086
  • Some Super Glue.JPG
    Some Super Glue.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 996
  • Looking Messy.JPG
    Looking Messy.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,024
  • Middle Holes too.JPG
    Middle Holes too.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Should get this.JPG
    Should get this.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,102
Last edited:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Some times the missing segments are from the broken fascia and some times the LCD screen is dead (missing segments). I've not found a way to fix the screens as yet and so far the only way to go is to replace the screens with a known good ones.

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
good write up, should be a sticky or in the how to section, also left some rep for ya :thumbsup:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
I missed a small part out - you will need the front part of the mount tab in place as this part is where the screw hold on (see the second photo). If the back part is missing you can cover with tape before adding the glue and the screw will still hold. You just need to make sure the hole has no glue in it. If for some reason glue gets in the hole you need to run a screw into it to make the thread good and let it set. The screw should come out OK when the glue has set.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll post up the 3 versions of the LCD screens.

1. VN VQ Series 1 screen has the thin numbers and is prone to bleeding. (1st photo)
2. VP VQ Series 2 screens with thick numbers and darkish background - prone to losing segments (need to find good photo)
3. VR VS Series 3 screens with thick numbers and more silver background - also prone to losing segments (2nd photo)

Attachments

• VN-VQ_S1_LCD.JPG
    VN-VQ_S1_LCD.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,019
  • VR-VS_S3.JPG
    VR-VS_S3.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,131

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Hey shane just curious, with the LCD screens that have the more darkish backround vs 1 with a more silver backround, would this vary certain colours 2 shine through after the filter is removed? Ive noticed wen i did my own LCD screens white they turned out a more off white colour so i went back 2 blue 2 over come this, but if i had 1 with a more silvery backround could that possibly correct that?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey shane just curious, with the LCD screens that have the more darkish backround vs 1 with a more silver backround, would this vary certain colours 2 shine through after the filter is removed? Ive noticed wen i did my own LCD screens white they turned out a more off white colour so i went back 2 blue 2 over come this, but if i had 1 with a more silvery backround could that possibly correct that?

Yes the VP LCD screens are a little dark. the silver ones are 2 shades brighter and worth fitting. Green LED's are OK on the darker screens tho.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Cheers 4 the handy info shane i'll keep that in mind wen the VN-VS conversions start :) can u get a hold of the more silvery LCD screens urself if they r needed from time 2 time? may even grab myself a set 2 try again.

could this also apply with the climate control LCD screens through out these models? tho i can make mine nice n white as it is but if u can make it cleaner again well thats even better, sorry 2 take it off topic lol.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just repaired 8 of the fascias and fitting them to trip computers with dead LCD screens. I'll be selling on Ebay shortly if any one is after one. :)

hemiceni

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX
I imagine installing LED globes renders the factory dash brightness dimmer inoperative.
Have you tested how the LEDs perform if the factory dimmer switch is used?

If I had for example standard globes in the rest of the cluster, and LEDs for the LCDs, would the trip computer LEDs cut out when I dimmed the dash lights?