Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Flat Battery

Pete in Perth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V, V8
Good to hear, thanks.

I phoned up this morning & the RAC battery service guy came around promptly & changed the battery. I'm not a member of RAC so that added $19 to the normal $179 charge. Happy to have it done so easily on a Sunday.

As I really don't like to experience the sudden failure like yesterday, I'll pencil in for two years away to change the battery - & hunt around for the best battery I can find at the time.

cheers

munga2

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
hi guys nothing wrong wit jump starting youre ve like the good old days you cant hurt any new car aslong as you leave the jumper leads hooked up for 30secs or so as the alternator pumps max charge into the vehicle.. as for the ve it does drain the batterry very quik as it uses a diff system! it has a deep cycle battery and the alternator only charges it when it gets very low to reduce engine loand therefore reduce fuel consumption and emissions!! dont blame holden they are trying to do the green thing god bless

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
hi guys nothing wrong wit jump starting youre ve like the good old days you cant hurt any new car aslong as you leave the jumper leads hooked up for 30secs or so as the alternator pumps max charge into the vehicle.. as for the ve it does drain the batterry very quik as it uses a diff system! it has a deep cycle battery and the alternator only charges it when it gets very low to reduce engine loand therefore reduce fuel consumption and emissions!! dont blame holden they are trying to do the green thing god bless

Not quite correct but you're on the right track.

Charge Mode
The BCM will enter Charge Mode when ever one of the following conditions are met.

• The wipers are ON for than 3 seconds.

• GMLAN (Climate Control Voltage Boost Mode Request) is true, as sensed by the HVAC control head. High speed cooling fan, rear defogger and HVAC high speed blower operation can cause the BCM to enter the Charge Mode.

• The estimated battery temperature is less than 0°C (32°F).

• Battery State of Charge is less than 80 percent.

• Vehicle Speed is greater than 145 kph (90 mph)

• Current Sensor Fault Exists

• System Voltage was determined to be below 12.56 volts

When any one of these conditions is met, the system will set targeted alternator output voltage to a charging voltage between 13.9-15.5 volts, depending on the battery state of charge and estimated battery temperature.

goldvn05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Calais V V6 LY7
interesting post found at another forum site......anyone know of any truth to this ? ie that unless lock VE car, the internal systems, computers etc etc don't really shut down and hence keep causing some battery drain...anyone know of this is accurate ?

amckiwi
07-05-2010, 12:48 PM
May not answer your question Carby but I know Chev has found that unless he actually locks VEs in his workshop overnight some will be flat by morning as some stuff doesn't shut down totally until it's locked.

Wonk that is interesting

I nevel lock mine in the shed have been away for three weeks and it has fired up no problems

Maybe I am lucky

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Not sure if this the begging of a problem for me, but my 08 ve ssv ute when i start it in the morning (only does this everynow and then) on the screen comes up "battery saving mode" the little led screen with battery volatage is just under 12, it starts and runs perfectly fine, the volatage screen then goes up at 14/15 straight away after starting, anyone had a simlar thing happen? has happend twice the last 4 days or so

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
sounds like battery is on the way out mate

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
Not quite correct but you're on the right track.

Charge Mode
The BCM will enter Charge Mode when ever one of the following conditions are met.

• The wipers are ON for than 3 seconds.

• GMLAN (Climate Control Voltage Boost Mode Request) is true, as sensed by the HVAC control head. High speed cooling fan, rear defogger and HVAC high speed blower operation can cause the BCM to enter the Charge Mode.

• The estimated battery temperature is less than 0°C (32°F).

• Battery State of Charge is less than 80 percent.

• Vehicle Speed is greater than 145 kph (90 mph)

• Current Sensor Fault Exists

• System Voltage was determined to be below 12.56 volts

When any one of these conditions is met, the system will set targeted alternator output voltage to a charging voltage between 13.9-15.5 volts, depending on the battery state of charge and estimated battery temperature.

That seals it for me! I am going to drive at 150km/h with my wipers on full ball and the A/C pumping out max air! That should be fun!!!

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Well took it into holden today, they checked everything and said the system is clear and there is no problems, i dont think they checked my battery might have to go get it tested, altthough only some mornings its been doing it and starts fine (once i start it the saver mode disapears