Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Flexplate to crankshaft replacement bolts

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
Anyone know were to get new flexplate to crankshaft bolts for a series2 vp?
Only place in town is holden and they want $5 each for them.

nori

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS s2
there high tensile bolts, if they got'em buy them coz they dont make them anymore, i just used bolts from the bolt shop and even wit heaps of loctite they come loose after a couple of months

Hillerus

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VP Exec,Gsx-R 750
there high tensile bolts, if they got'em buy them coz they dont make them anymore, i just used bolts from the bolt shop and even wit heaps of loctite they come loose after a couple of months

Bolt shops sell high tensile bolts. Did you tension the bolts? I've put many truck engines together using standard high-tensile bolts that are tensioned to the correct torque, and no loctite, and haven't had any trouble.

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
these are a strange tension 20nm plus 73 deg.
The head has a big do on them not a grade.

Hillerus

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VP Exec,Gsx-R 750
these are a strange tension 20nm plus 73 deg.
The head has a big do on them not a grade.

Nothing strange about an angle torque. It's really up to you, if you wanna pay $5 bucks a bolt, do it, but I would be quite confident using a set of bolts from a bolt shop. If they are A/F, they would most likely be grade 8, if metric, grade 10.8

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I'm fairly confident they're not just a standard high tensile bolt. I know my flywheel -> crank bolts weren't. Whereabouts do you live? See if you can get someone to set you up with an ARP retailer.

If not, $5 a bolt isn't so bad. At least holden can still get them for you, Holden couldn't source ANY flywheel bolts for me :p

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
I'm in bowen north QLD
Whats so special, well if i use the wrong ones i will have some major repairs to do in a year or 2.
I just remember from talking to reps over the years that there are different types of high tensile bolts.
Some do not strecth so can be done up tight and others have a high shear strength.

So you realy need to know the spec of the bolts to make sure you have the right ones.

Hillerus

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VP Exec,Gsx-R 750
I'm in bowen north QLD
Whats so special, well if i use the wrong ones i will have some major repairs to do in a year or 2.
I just remember from talking to reps over the years that there are different types of high tensile bolts.
Some do not stretch so can be done up tight and others have a high shear strength.

So you realy need to know the spec of the bolts to make sure you have the right ones.

Which is what I have been saying all along. Find the grade, thread type and pitch, and get them from a bolt shop if you don't want to pay $5 a bolt. Holden aren't the only place to sell high tensile bolts!