Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

flickering alternator light

Tony2

Reaction score
The alternator light in my v8 vs has been randomly flickering or faintly glowing for the last 20 thou kms. The brushes in the alt are fine so I suspect the regulator. Has anyone else heard of similar problems? I dont really want to waste money on a new regulator if its not the cause of the problem. Somtimes when you drive at night you can notice the brightness of the headlights varying.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Its the regulator or a dodgy lug or soldered connection in the alternator or wiring connector fault to the alternator.Also check the battery for loose terminals.
Put a multimeter on volts across the battery and start the car and see what voltage it runs at. It should be constant after a while at about 13-14 volts.
If it is above this and changes a lot when you rev the car a bit , its the regulator ...if its over 16+ volts change the reg soon as it will blow a lot of things in the car not designed to run at this voltage.

Last edited:

EVL253

i hate cops!
Reaction score
Members Ride
cranky black VB SLE
yeah as stated either the reg is cactus or the charge wire off the alternator.this wire was way undersized from the factory and burns and goes all brittle etc and some strands can snap and this makes the problem worse

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
get a new reg...
it comes with new brushes

these things dying is very common on VR and VS V8

cheers

krizko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
has the car been heating up? could be the fan belt slipping???