Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Flickering headlights/ dash lights

V8fairy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore wagon
VX Commodore wagon with LS1 V8, had this for a while. Put a new alternator in a while back, but I think this has been like this even before that. No other issues, car starts and runs fine, no warning lights, measured voltages, about 13 volts with the engine off, 14.9 with engine running, drops to 14.5 or so when I run lights/ aircon / rear demister etc so doesnt look like a charging issue

I went through and cleaned the battery terminals and all the connectors, plus all the earthing points I could find as detailed here;
http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/archive/index.php/t-159453.html

Negative BATTERY TERMINAL (GP1) done
The main Earth Return from Main Wiring Harness (GP2 also known as connection X157) located Engine inner Fender (hidden by the BATTERY) done
Near the ABS (Drivers Side Front Fender & Inner Front Fender Engine Bay) (GP2 & GP3) done
Near Main Engine Mount (Front Drivers Side) (Rear Passenger Side) (GP5 & GP6)
Couldnt find the rear passenger side one, front drivers side one by power steering pump too hard to get at and was clean and secure anyway
On the V8's - Main Engine Block (Usually on the Front) (GP4 on the V8's - GP19A/19B on the V6's)
Couldnt find this one
Engine Front & Drivers Side (Cylinder Head) - ECM - GP17 & GP17 on the V6's)
Done
There is also a STRAP on the Passenger Side (Inner Fender) GP9 & GP 10 - Instrument Harness

Did all of the ones I could find/ get at
Lights still flickering, no change. Any ideas?

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
The things you have done, particularly checking the earths, is exactly where I'd start looking too.

Having said that, have you checked the light switch itself? This is not an issue I've encountered so I'm just throwing it out there but it seems a logical area to check. The switch could be faulty or it may just be a case of the loom plug not being properly installed/loose.

V8fairy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore wagon
Given that I leave my lights going all the time thought this could be it
Gave switch a good workout, no difference.
I'm going to try grounding various points with a jumper lead to see if I can eliminate some of the earth points, plus I'll have to pull the radiator overflow and ECU to get at that strap on the Passenger Side (Inner Fender) GP9 & GP 10 - Instrument Harness

V8fairy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore wagon
Solved
Turned out to be a crook alternator
I had a leaking water pump a while back which I replaced (after changing alternator)
In addition one of the power steer pump hoses was leaking
Mixture of the two had got on the slip ring/ commutator, lubricating it and causing the flickering