Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Flogging a dead horse

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
So I've had my 2005 VZ Lumina Wagon for about 3 years now.

I inherited it of my father who retired and bought himself a boat and a new 4WD.

The car had 263,000KMS on the clock when I got it and it now had 285,000KMS.

The car had a few problems and the amount of money and time I spent on it I could have bought a much better car but this has sentimental value.

Issues when I got it;
  • Sagging Roof
  • Spoiler and Roof Gutter Plastic Cracked paint peeling
  • Leaking roof
  • 6 Stack Headunit not working
  • Car overheating
  • Noise coming From Front end
  • Ripped and broken side driver electric seat
  • Car running sluggish
  • Broken electronic aerial
Considering all that the car body is straight and pretty neat

What I have done to date;
  • Front wheels bearings
  • Thermostat
  • Diff Oil Change
  • Spark Plugs
  • Transmission Service
  • Radiator
  • Thermo Fan
  • New radiator hoses
  • New Serpentine Belt
  • Water Inlet Gasket
  • New 6 Stack Original Head Unit
  • New Antenna
  • Replacement Roof Gutter
  • Sprayed Rear Spoiler and Roof Gutter
  • New roof lining
  • New side cover front seat
  • New foam and stitch ripped driver seat
  • New genuine floor mats
  • New Genuine Bonnet Protector
  • New Starter Motor
  • New Vacuum Hoses on manifold
  • L shaped rubber hose on manifold
  • New O2 Sensors X2
  • New Heavy Duty Batteries plus Connectors
  • Oil Pressure Switch
  • Purge Valve
  • Fuel Filter
  • Fresh brake fluid
  • Fresh Power Steering Fluid
  • Number 3 Fuel Injector Replacement
  • New Metal Manifold Gasket
  • LED Globes all interior lights
  • Water Pump
  • Radius Bush
  • Strut Top Bearings
  • Front Rear Shocks
  • Strut Boots
  • Sway Bar links
  • Lower Control Arms
  • Bump stops
  • Genuine Holden strut brace
  • New Coolant Cap

I'm sure I forgot something

Things need to be done;
  • New Disc Rotors and brake pads all round
  • Front VZ SS headlights
  • Change Radiator and Thermo Fan to Original Holden Parts
  • Re tint damaged tinting
  • Paint Manifold Cover
  • Shampoo interior

The car needs a good paint correction detail.

Things I would like to do to give the engine some more life;
Cold Air Intake
Manifold Spacer 12mm
Throttle Controller

All mace products

I've been giving the engine a good clean and detail and also flush the oil with kerosene each time I service the car. Every 5000KMS I change the oil

Let me know if I need to do anything else

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Sounds like a lot of work but after all that effort I can totally relate to the wanting to keep it. Us men aren't quite as maternally wired as women... but when it comes to cars...

As for the future Mods, Mace is top stuff and pretty good bang for buck. If you've got the dosh I've heard the CPR6 manifolds are (rare) but great for extra intake. But thats a huge investment and may not even be needed unless you're building a monster of a V6.
The mods you have listed are excellent and easy to install (I did them to my old VZ exec i used to have).
If you can find some cheapy second hand extractors they make a big difference too - It's good and all to get more air INTO the engine but you also need to eventually consider the air that needs to come OUT.
So a 2.5 single Exhaust would be good too. You can opt for a quieter set up as well, doesn't have to be too crazy. In fact modest is better with the Alloytec as they just don't sound the same as the previous ecotec.

Once all your mods are on I would highly recommend a tune. A replacements PCM from Mace is the most cost-effective option. Not only will you see further power improvements for all you mods, but your fuel economy will be phenomenal.
Nothing better than a V6 with a good set of lungs!

Regarding the incomplete (cosmetic) issues:
  • Spoiler and Roof Gutter Plastic Cracked paint peeling
    Ebay for spares, they slide out east buy be VERY careful of your windscreen glass. dumb me chipped and thus cracked mine once. not worth the hassle lol
  • Leaking roof
    PRIORITISE this. This will only lead to more damage and cost if you put it off. As for the spoiler I would ditch it and plug the holes, I prefer the flush boot lid look (personally)
  • 6 Stack Headunit not working
    Aftermarket for sure. More features = win. you can replace it with another holden unit cheap sure, but then you have to figure out unlock codes which can be hell with holden since some of them match the PCM so you either need reprogramming or.... yeah headache. Get something on special and install yourself (plenty of guides out there. you can even wire it yourself if you're brave enough, or just buy the plugs to save time)
  • Car overheating-
    PRIORITISE THIS MORE! This is more than just cosmetic and should be an easy fix.. the hard part is figuring out why. More than likely a leak somewhere or maybe even an electrical failure. Take it to a garage and get them to fix it. Simple and saves you the mind-F**K of figuring out what it is yourself
  • Noise coming From Front end
    Time for new bushes or springs/shocks? maybe even the power steering?
  • Ripped and broken side driver electric seat
    Ebay or a wrecker. Shouldn't cost more than $200. or ditch the whole interior and find some calais seats hehe.
    Make sure you check the seat belt buckle hasn't collapsed. The clip is loaded with an impact triggered retractor that causes the seatbelt to lock up incase of an accident. Most write-offs will likely be busted so always check.
  • Car running sluggish
    Could just be old age. It might be worth getting some Carby cleaner and giving the MAF a good spray as well as cleaning out the throttle body and manifold. Beyond that I'm really not sure.
  • Broken electronic aerial
    Autobahn sell these and i think they can install them too. or get one cheaper from a wrecker. a total hassle to get your arm up in there and change over but if you have the patience then DIY.

Sorry for the longgggg reply but hopefully at least 10% of what I mentioned is useful to you. Keen to know how it all goes, you've got a lot of work ahead!

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Hey mate and thanks for the reply.

I actually fixed everything except the overheating issue and I have the parts just have to get them fitted.

I also need to fix the aircon as well. It was leaking from the pipe that going into the drier/ receiver

With the heating issue.

I have changed the thermostat, water pump, radiator and Thermo fan. When I drive it's ok but when I get to the lights or in traffic the temp goes up and the fan kicks in. It's very annoying. The Thermo fan is after market and is very loud and vibrates the car.

Last edited:

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
oh hell that's a bit annoying! I guess the gradual breakdown of parts and constantly changing them to aftermarket parts takes it toll. I guess changing it out for a better quality one would help. It certainly sounds like its taking too long to switch on at any rate

munter000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon
You deserve a medal.....all that input makes the car worth keeping.

I have done many of the same things and now like my car.

Also I am now in the "Old bastard with a holden" club...I am happy and you will be too.